Chapter 27: A True HornDog Would Ignore the Ghosts; I'm No Longer a True HornDog

       I was glad Sawyer kept the promise he made that got me to stay at this haunted campsite. I was worried he only said that to get me to stay and that he would 'forget' he made the promise in the first place.

       He definitely did not forget that promise.

        Unfortunately, while Sawyer and I were on our own some distance away from the tent, I swear all those weird noises I've been hearing got a lot worse. I've been hearing growls, rustling, and I was pretty sure I heard a chainsaw as well.

       Sure, the growling and the rustling could very much come from an animal but Sawyer did say the animals were usually a lot deeper in the forest. And Posie even said the animals normally weren't anything big that could growl.

       I was getting too paranoid right now.

       And I still didn't understand why the Birches and Posie willingly came here from time to time.

       Even though I was... occupied right now, it was very hard for me to ignore the various sounds I was hearing. Eventually, I heard something that made me pull away from Sawyer, as painful as it was.

       Here I was, the boy who didn't know how to stop flirting with Sawyer, pulling away from him right now. I was a disgrace to the horn dogs out there.

       Even though I pulled away from Sawyer to ask him something, his lips immediately trailed from my jaw to my neck. Not matter how much I wanted to ignore the sound and continue in my horn dog ways, I couldn't. 

       "Did you hear that?" I asked.

       "No," Sawyer murmured into my neck.

       If Sawyer didn't hear it, then maybe it was my imagination.

       However, a few moments later, I heard it again. "Okay, tell me you heard that."

       This time, Sawyer did pull away from me, unfortunately. I mean, I would like to know what was making all of those creepy noises but if we were about to die, I wouldn't mind going out this way.

       "Heard what?" Sawyer asked.

       "Seriously?" I asked. "You haven't been hearing anything this whole time?"

       Sawyer shrugged. "I guess I come camping here so often that the noises are just so familiar to me that I don't really recognize them."

       "You still believe me that I heard something, right?" I asked.

       "Considering you stopped kissing me to ask me if I heard the noise, I'd have to say yes. What exactly did you hear?"

       "I don't really know what it was," I said. "It was like this... this loud screech. There's no way you wouldn't have heard it."

       "Well, I was a bit preoccupied," Sawyer said.

       The screech sounded again and once it did, I looked around, trying to find the source of that noise. As I did, I asked, "And this time?"

       "This time, I actually heard it," Sawyer said. "And I have no idea what that was."

       "So... I take it we should head back to our campsite so we can lead whatever that is to your siblings and make a run for it?"

       "Or we can go see what it is."

       I furrowed my eyebrows. "You... want to go see what's making that noise? You don't want to go back to the campsite, where there's safety in numbers, because you'd rather go searching for that... that demon?"