Chapter 36: Practice Doesn't Make Perfect Because I'm Already Perfect

       As I was waiting at the front of the school for Sawyer to pick me up, I saw the devil walking towards me. I was really hoping she was just walking in my general direction and was going to pass by me but, of course, I was wrong.

       "We need to talk," Kitty said.

       "No, we don't," I said.

       Kitty ignored me anyway and continued whatever conversation this was. "I hear you're entering the cross-country competition in two months."

       I furrowed my eyebrows. "How did you hear abut that?" I just decided I was going to enter the competition a few days ago. It hasn't even been a full week since Lauri talked to me about it.

       "Word gets around fast," Kitty said. "I also hear that you're in talks about going on tour with a bunch of other competitors. Steph and I are also being considering and there are only two cross-country spots left on the team."

       "Cool," I said, wanting this conversation to end soon. Now I was starting to feel a bit uneasy know that there were only two spots left on the team, and to hear that Kitty and Steph were also being considered. Sure, I beat them once, but that didn't mean I was going to beat them again.

       "I'm just thinking how amazing it's going to be when I'm on tour with Sawyer," Kitty said. "Even better, when you're not there. Then Sawyer can finally see that he and I are meant to be."

       "Why do you keep pining after him when you're the one who broke up with him?" I asked. 

       "Because I still love him."

       "Loving someone isn't shaming them for their sexuality, Kitty."

       "So I made a small mistake. I still love him."

       "You should follow the famous saying that goes something like 'If you love someone, let them go'."

       "Why don't you let him go?"

       "Hell no. I'm not stupid enough to dump someone like Sawyer."

       "Might as well do it now because it's going to happen eventually."

       Why was Kitty still acting all delusional after all this time? Did she really think Sawyer would get back together with her when she still hasn't really done anything to redeem herself? It was just the same old, same old with her; trash anyone who she didn't like and not sure any remorse.

       There wasn't really any sign of Kitty ending this conversation, but thankfully I saw Sawyer's truck pull  to the side of the road. 

       "Oh, would you look at that?" I said, looking at Sawyer's truck. "My boyfriend is here to pick me up. But, as always, it has been such a pleasure talking to you." I rolled my eyes before heading to Sawyer's truck, climbing into the passenger seat.

       "What did Kitty want?" Sawyer asked.

       "She just wanted to tell me that she is also being considered for a cross-country spot for the team," I said. "So is Steph. So I probably just have to beat one of them to make the team."

       "Well, you did beat both of them last time," Sawyer said as he started driving to the farm. "You'll definitely be able to do it again."

       "Don't jinx it," I said.

       Sawyer furrowed his eyebrows. "I'm not? I'm just telling you that you're going to do extremely well. You're going to get a spot on the team, Jamie."