Chapter 17: Matched

Start from the beginning

It seemed to take forever for that hellish class to be over, and the moment it was, students scrambled from the room. It seemed that no one liked Mr Perkin's, and certainly no one wanted to be the last one out. With everyone else, you darted towards the door, and soon found yourself once again accosted by the other students. It seemed everyone wanted to walk with you, eat with you, and talk to you. You squirmed, desperately trying to fight the sudden popularity you had.

Moments later, you felt a hand under each of your arms, and you were pulled backwards into a strong chest. You looked up to see Markus, one hand on your shoulder. Connor was standing beside you to your right, his hand gently on your arm.

"Sorry, but [F/N] has somewhere she needs to be," Connor said, and with those words, they whisked you away up the corridor. When you were finally away from the crazed students, they slowed their pace, but still kept their hands holding yours. Your left hand was in Markus's, your right, in Connor's. You blushed at the sudden situation you had found yourself in.

"Are you alright?" Markus asked.

"I-I'm fine," You murmured, "But what was that about? Why am I suddenly so... so popular?"

"Well... Cain didn't really fess up to being the one who rescued you," Connor said quietly, and you winced. You didn't think Connor knew about that. "Cain didn't want to either. He doesn't want any unnecessary popularity."

"With no one taking the credit for rescuing you, a lot of rumors started," Markus interjected, "I tried to quell the rumors, but you know how teenagers are. Suddenly, everyone was telling stories about how you took down the bullies. You've become a bit of a school legend."

"Oh no..." You groaned, pulled your hands away from theirs to cover your face. Connor reached forward and pulled your hand away. "Don't worry... we'll keep those people away from you. Well... we'll try to, at least."

You looked from Connor to Markus, trying to read their faces. You glanced around, and realized that the corridor was empty, save for your small group.

"You two seem to be getting along..." You muttered, and Connor and Markus exchanged a look. "What's this about?"

"Nothing!" Markus insisted. "We're just determined to protect you."

"Besides, it's not like we didn't get along before," Connor said.

"Before you could barely stand to be around each other," You insisted, and the boys looked a little embarrassed at being caught out. But still, they refused to tell you why they were acting so strange.

They continued to guard you up the hallway towards the cafeteria, but even though it was good they were no longer growling at each other, it still felt strange. It felt uncomfortable to see them no longer arguing at every possible moment.

Not to mention, even though they were beside you, they were acting like bodyguards. Keeping the other students away, shielding you from uncomfortable glances, leading you through the corridor... you could not feel comfortable beside them when they were treating you like some kind of precious possession.

When you reached another quieter corridor, you pulled away from them.

"What's wrong [F/N]?" Connor asked.

"You two are acting so strange!" You blurted out, backing away from them slightly. "Just... Just treat me like you usually do!"

They glanced at each other, as you continued. "I did not take down those bullies, and my leg and arms are not hurting as much anymore. You don't have to protect me so much... I can take care of myself."

"But what if we want to protect you?" Markus asked, after a long moment.

"Look... I appreciate that you guys want to protect me so much, but I'm okay now. I just want you to talk to me like you usually do..." You smiled slightly, trying to reassure them. "I am really glad that you're both getting along more, but... could you not act so strange?"