Night Sky ; Ushijima X Reader

Start from the beginning

"He's a little intimidating, r i g h t?" Tendou says slowly, widening his eyes and tilting his head.

A sudden shiver rings down your spine.

"Ah! I don't think so. He seems very kind!" You say sweetly, although dying on the inside.

"Hmm.." Tendou narrows his eyes on you for a few moments before-

"I like you."

"Oh, thank you!" You offer a small smile in Tendou's direction.

"But it's a little too early to confess to me, hm~?" You tilt your head slightly, widening your innocent eyes.

...

"PFFFFF" the team wheezes, losing any cool they had, giving Tendou a few reassuring pats on the back between their little giggles.

"Ok, that's enough. Let's get to practice." Ushijima interrupts, blunt as always.

You smile at him and give a small bow in respect, letting him know you didn't mean to interrupt. Ushijima simply throws you a small look over his shoulder in return. You shrug off his slight coldness, and follow coach Saitō to go receive your new track suit.

As you walk out of the hallway leading to the locker rooms, and back into the gymnasium, you slow your pace a little, simply mesmerized by the action on court.

"Has volleyball always been this graceful? I guess I've only seen it as a rough game of who can keep the ball up the longest... it looks like so much more than that. Their form... their strength... sugoi..." you stare, lips parting slightly in amazement.

You're immediately ripped out of your mesmerization by a tan muscled arm sniping out in front of your eyes, stealthily catching the volleyball seconds away from giving you a broken nose. Your eyes widen, as your hair flies back from the pure acceleration of the ball in front of you.

Your shaky eyes slowly creep to the right, making eye contact with your savior. Ushijima stands tall, slowly inching his arm back to his side, rolling the volleyball back across the court, never losing eye contact with you.

"Be careful." He warns, finally tearing his eyes away from you, and jogging back on to the court.

"What?!? What the hell!! Now I feel like I'm in a shoujo manga!!" You screech in your head, your hands coming up to cover your rosy cheeks and scrunched eyes.

•••

During your first few weeks with the volleyball team, it took you a little while to warm up to the boys. But you quickly learned that the once intimidating boys you saw at first glance, were actually really kind dorks who enjoyed fun just as much as you. Even Ushijima, at times.

You soon became known as their biggest supporter. Not just in volleyball, but with their academics or girl troubles as well. Your bright and bubbly personality always uplifted the boys' spirits, which was one thing they were all looking for in a manager.

"Semi Semi~ go get em!" You wave your arms, as Semi prepares for his serve.

Semi gives you a shy smile, lifting a thumbs up as a response.