His foul mood continued into the next day. Nobody was late to practice, thankfully. He didn't know what his temper would have him do if that had been the case.

They worked through some plays, key relationships between his offensive line were forming nicely, the boys were getting the hang of reading the game and each other, especially the new additions to the team. If that continued they could make real progress in matter of weeks instead of the months of getting their asses beat that he had anticipated. He was excited for what was to come but he had that small issue of the Science teacher to iron out.

He couldn't have faculty members hampering his progress anyhow they pleased. His players weren't above discipline, not at all. He had expectations of them, least of all that they would be on time to practice and their lessons. But when it came to discipline, he doled it out. No one else.

Gabe went to his office, he had an email from the beginning of term informing him of all the class schedules for his players. He opened the file to see which teacher he had to have a word with. But there was a knock on his door before he could get to the name.

The person let themselves in before he had given them permission to enter, very presumptuous of them but some of his annoyance dissipated when he saw who it was.

She looked shocked initially when she saw him but recovered quickly. "You're the football coach?" she asked.

"Yes, ma'am," Gabe responded shifting back in this seat to really take her in. How the hell was she so well put together, so early in the morning? She was dressed in a white cotton shirt that stretched invitingly over her chest, tucked into a pair of navy slacks, that hugged every curve.

She was scowling at him, with her hands on her hips. She had been talking for a while, Gabe realised and she got more annoyed when it came apparent that he hadn't heard a word she said.

"This is so typical, do you athletic types have any respect for academics?"

"Now, hold on - "

"No, you hold on," she easily mimicked the Southern inflection. "I don't appreciate my students being kept late by you and then arriving late and disrupting, not only their own learning but that of everyone else's."

"Wait. You're the science teacher that made them late for practice?" Gabe scrambled to his feet.

"Have you heard a word I said?"

"I've heard plenty." Gabe moved away from the desk towards the centre of the room, until they were level. Well, as level as they could be with his 6'3 figure, towering over hers.

"If my players are late they have a good reason. If you have a problem with that you talk to me, you don't keep them from practice."

"I'll do what I want with them when they are in my lessons," She said defiantly. Lifting her head and staring him square in the eyes.

"I discipline my team. Don't overstep again." Gabe shifted forward; invading her space, fully intending to intimidate her to get his point across.

"If it's too complicated for your jock brain let me know, but this is a school and kids come here for an academic education first and foremost. I will not have my students late for class," she responded just as fiercely, letting him know that she didn't respond well to intimidation.

"Football comes first in Texas, you'll do well to learn that fast."

"Jesus, no wonder the university rates in this school are so low," she said exasperated. "These kids are smart, and have the potential to go to great universities but your attitude is not helping."

"They can get into college by playing football."

"Why's that? Because they're black? They can only get into college with athletic ability?" Natalia surmised.

"What the hell is the matter with you?" Gabe thundered.

She looked visibly taken aback by his anger but continued anyway, "I'm just trying to understand how a dumb sport is more important than education."

He couldn't hear anymore of it without saying things would regret. "Get out of my office." He ordered before the situation escalated.

She had left with anger radiating from her petite body. In his previous experience as a Marine, he hardly dealt with any defiance but here it was staring him in the face. It scared and excited him in equal measure.

Hours later, with time to cool off, Gabe trudged into Ella's office. He supposed that he better update her on the situation, before it escalated. He had no desire to be branded a racist.

Ella laughed until she was holding her sides, when Gabe finished recounting that morning's events to her.

"Can you be the Principal and my boss for five minutes?" Gabe was almost pleading.

"I am and it's still funny."

"It's funny that she called me a racist?" Gabe glared.

"Well if you can't see how emphasising athletics over academics when your entire team is made of up black students can be —"

"I'm not a racist," Gabe growled.

"Nobody said you were," Ella sighed. "But we do need to examine our approach to the football team and how your players balance their studies with practice."

"For the last time, all I'm saying's y'all can't keep my players from practice without informing me."

"Okay —I have an idea..." Ella started

"Whatever it is, I don't want no parts of it."

"We don't have a student-athlete programme, and one of our key priorities is increasing our college-rates. I want you and Natalia to come up with the strategy."

"No."

"You better if you want an increase in your football budget next year."

"I hate you."

"I also need you to apologise to Natalia."

"Nope." Gabe point-blank refused, leaving Ella's office and leaving her door wide open to annoy her and get his message across.

"I mean it, Gabe," Ella shouted at his retreating footsteps.

Both meetings played on Gabe's mind for the rest of the day. He didn't think it was possible, but his mood got even fouler as the day progressed. His players got the brunt of it, but they took it in their stride, not wanting to annoy him further and be punished in the form of push-ups or suicide sprints.

They watched game tape, with them taking notes of plays and then working on light exercises before he dismissed them.

He noticed a new white car on the street when he arrived at home. It had been there a couple of days but he didn't know who it belonged to.

His question was answered when he saw her stepping out of the car. Her arms were full of plants, she expertly manoeuvred the front door and got inside shutting behind her.

She was making herself at home. He was curious about what the inside looked like. He wondered what kind of taste she had. And then wondered why he even cared.

Gabe peeled himself away from his bedroom window, where he could see her silhouette clearly against the flimsy white curtains. He hoped she would invest in some curtains and soon because his inner gentleman was non-existent when it came to her.