'My sincere apologies for the delay,' he started. 'I got held up at the observatory today —'

'Observatory?' China's interest was piqued.

The doctor paused in arranging files on the coffee table. 'Yes . . . I take an interest in Physics and Astronomy. I know it sounds incongruous, but I —'

'She lectures in Physics and Astronomy at the University!' It was Eniiyi that interrupted this time.

'Wow, that's really nice.' Then he took a proper look at China Okenwa. 'It's a great honour to meet you, ma'am. I'm Dr Edeh Chibuike.'

'The pleasure is mine,' China murmured and took his outstretched hand.

'So, you're the Eniyi I've been hearing about,' said the doctor.

'It is Eni iyi, not Eniyi, sir.'

'My bad.' The doctor winked.

'Down to business. I specialize in syndromes like yours. And in all my years of study I have never seen your kind of case before.'

China adjusted her sitting position and sat straighter. 'What do you mean?'

'Her disease, Alacrimia, is one of the three features of an inherited condition known as Triple A Syndrome. The remaining two are Addison disease which is the abnormality in the function of the adrenal glands . . Eniyi, do you know what the adrenal glands are?'

Eniiyi made a show of thinking then finally shook her head. 'No.'

'They secrete hormones that control the heart rate, metabolism, blood pressure and others. They are situated above each of your kidney. You may not understand this terms yet, your—'

'I do, sir. We were taught in Biology class in Primary Four.'

'Interesting,' said the doctor, peering down at her more closely. 'What class are you now?'

Eniiyi tried to hold down her chagrin. 'I'm going to start junior secondary school soon.'  She looked glum all of a sudden. 'That is if they find my parents.'

'Hey.' China but a hand soothingly on her back. 'It's gonna be alright.'

The doctor observed them for a few seconds in silence. 'And I heard of your parent's case. Do not despair, Eni iyi, they will be back soon.'

Eniiyi mentally palmed her face. Why had she even bothered to correct him?

'Thank you, sir.'

'I wasn't aware that they now have Biology in Primary School curriculum now,' the man said in thought. 'How the world is changing.'

'So where was I? Oh, yes. The third feature is Achalasia; a disorder that affects the ability to move food through the weasand; the oesophagus. What makes your own case rare is that most people with TAS, most times, have all the three, some two, but never one. And it is only one you've exhibited so far.

I'm still going to carry out some tests on you, but it's quite obvious that you're not suffering from Addison's or Achalasia. Or do you have the inability to swallow?'

Eniiyi shook her head. 'How do you know I don't have Addison's?'

'It is characterized by fatigue, darkening of skin, low blood pressure and the likes. You don't seem to have any of that. Or do you?'

Eniiyi shook her head again.

'I'm still going to carry out some tests on you, though.'

'Sir, you mentioned that the condition is inherited . . . does that mean her parents may have too?' China finally spoke up.