III

The two stared at one another for a few long moments before Ardon cleared his throat. "You look good."

     Liri cocked her brow.

     "Clean, I mean, and a little less frazzled."

     "I don't recall showers feeling as soothing as that one did."

     "Long trips make you appreciate the little things in life more."

     "True. Silence isn't something I ever yearned for until being crammed on board that vessel." She shuddered. "Never again will I use cheap flights."

     Chuckling, he stepped closer to her and asked, "Are you hungry?"

     "I could use nourishment." A brief smile graced her face. "But no meat, please."

     "You don't like steak or chicken?"

     "I can't digest it."

     "Oh, ok. You can sit at the bar and tell me about your troubles while I cook an early dinner. Unless you want to go out?"

     "No!"

     His wings twitched.

     She cleared her throat and spoke in a calm tone. "I prefer to stay out of sight for a little while longer if you don't mind."

     "Sure thing."

     "Where will I be sleeping?" Liri lifted her bag and smiled.

     Ardon pointed to the door down from the bathroom. "That one's yours. I'll have dinner ready in about fifteen minutes."

     "Sounds good. I'll be right there."

     After the door hissed closed behind her, she set her things down on the bed.

     Pulling a rectangular metal box from her bag, she pressed several buttons and placed it on the floor in the center of the room. Four legs burst from its sides and a fat one from its top that clicked into place, becoming a radar dish. The device walked around, swiveling its cupped head like a puppy looking for a treat from its owner before settling down.

     A red timer started counting down on the device as a hologram of a ringlet-haired woman blinked to life in front of Liri. Her cinnamon-brown eyes widened before a low cry escaped her full-lipped mouth.

     Liri reached out as if she could wipe a tear that streamed down the other woman's cheek. In a soothing tone, she whispered, "Hi, beautiful."

     "Liriandra, you shouldn't risk contacting me," the woman's chin quivered. Her hand moved to the side of her face, where Liri's palm would have warmed her skin under ideal circumstances.

     "I know, but..." She shrugged.

     "No, you need to keep a low profile."

     Liri's pale blue eyes traveled around the unadorned guest room. "I tried, but they knew I was here as soon as I arrived."

     The other woman cocked her eyebrow. "Where are you anyway?"

     "Sol, system."

     "Jupiter?"

     Liri smiled. "Don't worry about it."

     "Oh, Hades, no! Don't tell me you're on that shit-hole, Earth."

     "Ok, I won't."

     The woman's face fell further. "I'm going to have to send you to Suzie-qz for a month to get all that filth scrubbed from your pores."