Chapter 8

I dreamed. 

It felt so real.

"Mommy!" a little girl yells with her small voice. I look down and a girl with brown hair pulled into pigtails with pink ribbons, and light blue eyes looking up at me. She had the most darling pink dress on, with dainty dress shoes matching the color. 

"Are you excited?" she asks. I didn't know what...but I did. "Then come on! They're waiting!"

She takes my hand with hers, and leads me through hallways of what seemed like a theatre. She led me though a large door, and a darkened backstage it seemed. 

"I'm so nervous..." she whispered. I went down on one knee to her level and held her arm just underneath her shoulder. I rubbed it softly with my thumb.

"Abby..." I begin. How do I know her name? "You have the best voice ever. I know they'll love you. And I'll be right behind, helping you through."

She looked up at me.

Then she smiled a big, wide smile, showing her missing two front teeth. 

"Thanks mommy."

We got out on the darkened stage, and I sat down on a piano bench. Abby stood in front of a microphone. 

Then the stage lit up. 

I looked at the sheet music and saw it was the same music Mother taught me, but lyrics were added. Everything was scrawled in a familiar handwriting, though not mine.

I looked out into the audience and saw Sammy.

No, not inky Sammy, but the Sammy I knew with poofy blonde hair, a bit of a goatee on his chin, always a vest and a dress shirt. His reading glasses peeked through his vest pocket. 

I smiled at him, and he smiled back and winked. 

I looked back at the sheet music, still smiling, and began to play. 

I heard Abby singing the lyrics written, and it went beautifully with the music. 

I harmonized while she sang, and everything sounded overwhelmingly gorgeous. 

I knew every word, though I haven't ever heard this song. 

Every word sounded like something Mother would say. 

The song swelled, reaching every corner of that filled theatre. I somehow knew that it sold out to see me...

And my daughter.

The song finished.

The audience was silent. 

Then a thundering applause split through the silence, a standing ovation for me and Abby. 

I stood up and came up next to Abby, placing my hand on her shoulder.

I looked in the audience and saw Sammy with the biggest smile. When he noticed I saw him, he blew both of us kisses and continued to clap. I looked down at Abby, and she looked at me. 

We held hands, and bowed down. 

The applause and cheers swirled in the theatre, and Abby's smile was brighter than any spotlight. She tugged my dress and said,