Chapter 6

(Sammy's POV)

I ran to the edge of the boat after she fell.

I looked over the oozing lake, trying to spot anything at all that showed life. 

I would jump in after her, but with all that ink, it might corrupt me more. It might make me forget why I'm down there. 

It might make me want to sacrifice her.

And I can't risk that. 

I rest my forehead on the wooden edge, discouraged.

I can't risk going in.

But I can't leave her to die.

She might wash up on the Harbor.

Just go to the Harbor, Sammy...

Just go...

As I steer the boat I remember her first day at work.

The day I met her.

"Samuel! Samuel, where are you?" Joey yelled for me. I rolled my eyes and came up from my desk to find him. I did, and he was with...a girl.

A beautiful one at that.

"Samuel, there you are!" Joey said.

"Sammy." I corrected, but I couldn't take my eyes off her. Her (H/C), (H/L) hair hung playfully, her (E/C) eyes dazzled and shined like I had never seen before. I felt if I looked deep enough, I'd find galaxies in those sparkling spheres. 

(Below is what they wore back then...pick one please!)

She wore a (F/C) dress that matched her beautiful, shining skin

Everything about her was just...wow.

"Alright then, 'Sammy,'" Joey began. I quickly snapped out of it and directed my attention to him. "This is (Y/N) Stein. She's Henry's little sister, but boy can she sing! She will be helping you with some of your songwriting from now on."

"O-Okay..." I said, rather sheepishly and embarrassed. I'll be working with her now. Fun.

"(Y/N)," Joey began, pushing her forward a bit to me. "This is Samu- Sammy Lawrence."

"Hello." she said, thrusting her hand forward, holding it out so I can shake it. "I look forward to working with you."

Then, the glorious weeks arrived.

Each time we made a song and sang it together, it was like magic was in the air.

The world didn't deserve her raw talent.

And she didn't deserve to get sick.