Chapter 2

(Your POV)

I steadily got better.

Over months, I could feel myself getting better. I could feel my body recovering. It was good to actually breathe for a change. 

I waited for Sammy in all that time. I wanted to come back, but the doctors said it would aggrivate my condition.  It would only get worse. It  broke my heart to not come back. I only saw Sammy at work, so I never knew his address, so I couldn't write him any letter to tell him I was getting better.

Tell him I might sing again. 

Henry came in one day. I haven't seen him a lot because Joey demanded a lot of his "star artist."

"Henry...thanks for coming." my voice was tired and parched. He sat down in a chair next to my bed. He looked sad almost. "Hey...what's wrong?"

"I quit." he replied plainly. "They demanded too much. And I never got to see my sick little sister. I'm glad I did it."

"You..." I began, shocked. "You didn't have to do that. I know how much you love your characters...your work. You didn't have to stop all that for me."

He smiles at me. He gives me that "love ya, sis" look.

"Some things are more important than the studio." he says. 

Those words changed my point of view on that place forever. 

About a year later, I was out of the Hospital.  

I stayed home, writing songs. Henry asked me to live at his house, and I did. I became good friends with his wife, and we were all happy.

Then, one day, Henry got a letter. 

He read it aloud when it arrived. 

"Dear Henry,

"It seems like a lifetime since we worked on cartoons together. 30 years really slips away, doesn't it? If you're back in town, come visit the old workshop. There's something I need to show you.

"...Your Best Pal, Joey Drew

He finished up reading it, then looked up at both of us.

"Joey?" I said. "Why would he write you after all this time?"

"I...don't know." he said. "Should I go? Should I see what he wants to show me?"

"Well..." Linda began. "He's your friend. It's your decision."

After a week of thinking, he decided he'll do it. 

Then, he didn't come back for two days.

I guess it's natural for a little sister to worry. So I went to the studio to look for my big brother.

When I opened the door to the studio, I couldn't believe my eyes. 

It was...well, it was awful. Trashed and abandoned. Everything was coated in a black, thick liquid. The floor was completely covered. 

So covered, I didn't see the gaping hole in front of me. 

The hole I fell right into.

The hole that made me scream for my life, reaching desperately for the edge, and falling deeper into the darkened abyss looming underneath.