Chapter 5

(Your POV)

I had to tell him why I came. The whole reason. 

He was surprised at first, he must've thought that I came here for work and got a pleasant surprise. But he respects my love for my big brother. He knows damn well what I'd do for him.

He offered to help because he can see...most everything in the studio because he was corrupted. He could also sense when the Demon (whatever that is) was close, so we knew when to hide. 

We left the Music Department soon after I explained everything to him. He led me through the studio, hoarding away Searchers, protecting me from a twisted version of the Butcher Gang (still breaks my heart to see them like that), then finally...pinpointing Henry. 

"From what I can see..." he says, extremely focused. By now, we had taken a boat on a lake of ink and was headed for...somewhere. "He's locked up by Tom and Allison. They just took him away. If I can just lead the Demon there to scare them out, they'll all head for the Lost Harbor, and there we can find him."

"Even though I don't know who the heck Tom and Allison are..." I say. "I'm sure Henry's fine. Nobody in their right mind would want to hurt Henry, right?"

I wait for an answer from Sammy, but he stays quiet.

"...Right...?"

He sighs. Then he raises his masked face to look at me.

"I've gotta be honest with you..." he begins, sounding awfully sad. "When I turned to the ink to find you...to bring you back, I offered up sacrifices as well as worship. I thought...it would make the Demon happy...so happy he would bless me with you. It drove me insane...and I forgot how to think for myself. All I thought was 'make him happy, get her back' it was an endless loop. It was so hard to think...I forgot anything else I knew. I..."

"You...what?" I ask suspiciously.

"I...

"I captured your brother and tried to sacrifice him."

My head spun and throbbed. My thoughts raced like Olympians on a track, never stopping. 

Sammy?

He...tried to kill my brother? My only family?

"You...you what??" I shout at him in disbelief. "How could you?!"

"I didn't know!!" he yells back defensively. "The ink took away all my thoughts, all I wanted was to get you back...I wanted it so bad I forgot anything else I knew. I didn't know...I didn't know..."

"I don't care!!" I yell at his face. "You almost killed my brother!! The only family I have since I lost my parents!! You almost took that away!! How can I trust you anymore?!"

He tries to reach for my hand, but I pull away. 

"No!! Don't touch me!!" I yell, stepping back.

But I didn't notice that the edge of the boat was right behind me. 

I stepped back enough that I fell over the edge, never knowing what was behind me.

"AHH!!" I screamed as I tripped over the edge, and falling for the ink below. 

I saw Sammy reach for me, but he was too late.

The thick ink swallowed me up, dragging me downward, taking me.

I wanted to scream, but no one would hear me. 

I tried to fight back.

But I just couldn't. It was too powerful. Too strong. 

Then, for whatever reason, a scene from my childhood plays. 

Something that changed my life at such an early year.

Me and Henry were playing with our childhood toys.

My mother laughed at us and how seriously we were taking our game. 

Then she sat down at the piano and began to play a very intricate song. Even now every chord pinged clear as a bell. I came up to the bench while Mother played, and tried to contribute to the song somehow. I played some random notes with my chubby finger, hoping that it would magically sound good.

I had no such luck.

Mother laughed again, and look my small hand in hers.

Then she said these words, 

"Things like this aren't easy, but they're possible. You can do it!"

Then she started the song over, this time placing both of my hands on top of hers.

Ten years later I played it at her funeral.

Twenty years later I got hired at Joey Drew Studios just by playing it in public.

"Things like this aren't easy...

Mother's voice echoes in my mind.

"...but they're possible...

I continue to wriggle and try and fight through it all.

"...you can do it!" 

I kick and squirm, fighting against the ink, pulling me downwards still.

Then, all at once, I loose consciousness and the black ink turns blacker.