Chapter 32: This is My Home

ابدأ من البداية

When I have finished, Gwen places a plate of food in my lap. Once again, I take small portions not to vomit it all back up. I let myself relax at the flavour, moaning in delight.

My relief is quickly clouded with concern as I think of the people I had spent so much time with within the cell. I think of Elyan being tortured, Gwaine being beaten and bruised...and Gaius.

Panic reaches over me. "Oh, my-is Gaius okay?"

Gwen pats my arm, pushing me back down into the bed before I can leap to my feet, cooing me as she does so. "He's okay, Edythe", Gwen reassures ", Merlin has tended to him well. He is recovering fast with plenty of food and water and a lot of much-needed sleep."

"What about Elyan? Gwaine?"

"Both absolutely fine", Gwen continues. "Elyan is already up and helping restore Camelot. Gwaine is well also, bruised and tired, but fine. Merlin said he is well enough to help clean up also...but Gwaine has used excuses to say otherwise."

Relief returns, a heavyweight leaving my chest. I allow a breathy laugh, peaceful in the knowledge that Gwaine has returned to his usual self in such a short time....which then makes me wonder...

"How long was I asleep?"

"Two and a half days."

Shocked, I stare back at Gwen, trying to picture all the hard work that has been done whilst I had been sleeping.

"Don't feel guilty, Edythe. You needed it," Gwen soothes, rubbing my hand reassuringly.

Days in that cell, I couldn't wait for the day that I would see many of my friends once more, having thought many times that I would never see them again. I was reunited with some, but I have not seen others, like my brother.

"I need to see him", I state firmly, no room for protest, my mind made up. "I need to see Arthur."

Gwen doesn't waste any of my time helping me out of my bed, which turns into more of a struggle than I thought. Getting dressed presents a whole new array of obstacles. While Gwen helps me get dressed, I catch sight of my reflection in the mirror. The woman staring back at me is unrecognisable, her ribs tearing through her pale skin. Whatever muscle I did have is gone, my body resembling a skeleton more than a living human.

The horrid sight is covered up, dressed in comfortable attire, including pants and a shirt. It's not entirely unnoticeable but not overwhelming. I don't have trouble marching down the hallway, but Gwen is still clinging onto my arm just in case.

Strangely her presence is giving me strength, a new hope. When Gwen left Camelot, things changed, and it almost seemed darker. With her return, everything is brighter. I'm more assured. She is my support, the support I hadn't noticed until she was gone. Seeing her in the flesh, alive and back in Camelot, I find myself forgetting whatever happened. There is new hope and pride in its place.

I squint at the harsh beating of the sun. The warmth on my face feels weird yet pleasant, the fresh air overwhelming my lungs. Camelot is abuzz once more, the events of the past week seeming as if they never happened. There are still some messes left behind and a few damaged walls, but otherwise, all appear as if nothing happened.

Walking down the stone stairs becomes another obstacle, legs stiff and tired. Gwen helps me step by step, encouraging me as I go. This causes us to burst into giggles, the laughter becoming worse as we both nearly fell over.

"Edythe!" a familiar voice calls.

Before registering the owner, I'm faced with Percival rushing in my direction, engulfing me in a giant bear hug. I'm swept off my feet and shook around like a rag doll as Percival gets a tight grip.