Only the Beginning

°°

"I don't know, I haven't seen him since the morning after." I said to Maggie through the phone. I was currently running through a park and I decided to take a breather.

"Have you guys texted or called or anything?" She asked.

"We text once in a while, but I don't know." I responded.

"I have to let you go, talk to you later!" She replied. I hung up and continued to walk through the park. I smiled at the sight of little kids squealing and screaming as they played at the play structures.

"Dani!" A voice yelled. I turned around to see Austin.

"Hey!" I smiled as he embraced me in a hug.

"I've been meaning to call you, but every time, something would come up." He added. Like what? I asked myself.

"No worries." I replied.

"So what are you doing at a park?" Austin asked.

"I was just running the trail, and decided to take a break." I replied. "How about you?" I asked. As I asked my question, a little boy ran into Austin's arms.

"Daddy!" The little boy squealed. Daddy? What what?

"I'm here with my son." Austin said as he held the little boy in his arms.

"You have a son?" I asked shockingly. He nodded.

"I was going to tell you earlier but didn't know if this would end- I don't know, the thing we could've had." He replied. He thought I would not talk to him because he had a kid.

"Austin, you already told me you used to be married, there kind of was a thought that you might have a few more baggage." I chuckled. "Anyways, I love kids." I smiled looking over to the little boy in his arms. A smile spread across Austin's face. "What's your name cutie?" I asked the little boy playfully poking his cheek. The little boy giggled.

"I'm Caarterr." The little boy stuttered.

"Its very nice to meet you Carter, I'm Dani." I smiled.

"Now that you to have two have met, Carter are you hungry?" Austin asked. Carter nodded. "Dani, would you like to join us?" Austin asked.

"I would love to." I smiled. Austin and I both walked to our cars, we decided on a pizza parlor, very close to where we were located.

°°

"You both love pizza don't you?" I giggled watching Austin and Carter indulge their slices.

"More like love, right Carter?" Austin smiled as Carter giggled. Austin's phone began to ring. "Carter, it's your mom. Dani, can you watch him, I have to take this." He said as sorrow spread across his face.

"Don't worry Austin, go take it." I replied giving him a small smile as he left to answer his phone. I knew from Austin that he didn't have the best relationship with his ex-wife. "Carter, what are you looking at?" I giggled watching him stare at something behind me.

"Daani!" He squealed. "Wook at that!" He giggled. I turned around to see a claw machine far behind us.

"Want to play?" I asked. He nodded excitedly as I picked him up and walked us both to the play machine. "Okay, now put the dollar in this." I smiles helping his fit the dollar through the slot. "Now, let's play." I said picking him up so he could reach the joystick. I felt a presence next to us. "Everything alright?" I asked Austin who had a blank face. He slowly shook his head. I sighed as I helped Carter put the claw in the correct position. "Now press this button." I continued. Carter pressed the big, red button as the claw slowly sunk down to reach the stuffed animal he wanted. "Carter! You got it!" I said setting him down so he could grab his stuff animal. "Do you know what animal it is?" I asked.

"Tiger!" He squealed.

"Good job!" I said giving him a high five.

"Tank you Dani!" Carter said wrapping his small arms around me. I couldn't help but smile. I stood up and faces Austin who has a slight smile on his face.

"We need to get going Carter." Austin said picking him up. "I'll walk you to your car Dani." Austin added. I nodded.

°°

It was nice meeting you Carter." I smiled as Austin buckled him inside his car seat. Austin shut Carter's door and faced me. My smile faded, as I saw sadness in Austin's face. "Is everything alright Austin?" I asked. He stayed quiet, only embracing me in a tight hug. I felt him sniffle into my hair. "Austin, what happened during the phone call?" I asked as I rubbed his back.

"Her- she's- she wants full custody of Carter." He said into my ear.

"Austin, I doubt that would happen. You're an amazing guy, and great father, which I could tell by just meeting your son today." I replied. "Don't let her scare you. She's probably mad that you're doing good without her and she thought you would be miserable." I continued.

"Thank you so much Dani. I couldn't thank you enough. You made my son love you in a matter of 1 hour. And you made me fall in love with you in just one night." He replied. He fell in love with me. "I understand though, if this isn't what you want." He added.

"Austin, you're wrong. This is what I want. You're different from all the rest of the guys. I like that. Even if you have a son, and you were married before. I don't care." I replied.

"Can we hang out later tonight?" He asked.

"Of course, just text me." I replied.

"I'll see you later Dani." He said kissing my cheek. I nodded as he opened my car door.

"Bye Austin." I replied.

°°