Chapter 19

Marinette woke up to the feeling of the sun hitting her face. The bluenette groaned as she turned her head away from the window, and covered her face with her blanket.
"Marinette." A small voice squeaked her name.

"No..." Marinette ignored her kwami, not wanting to get up.

"Marinette, you have school today." The small kwami argued.

"I don't care..." The bluenette answered drowsily.

"You should care." The kwami huffed. "You have thirteen minutes before school starts!"

"Five more minutes..." Marinette groaned.

"Marinette, you'll be late to see Luka," Tikki told her in a sing-song voice.

The bluenette's eyes shot open as she felt her face heat up. "T-Tikki!"

The red kwami only giggled as she flew towards her master's closet, and picked out her usual clothing.

0~0

Marinette sat at her desk, a dejected look in her eyes. She remembered getting a text from Luka saying that he was out sick and he wouldn't make it to school that day. She also remembered feeling distressed. She couldn't pinpoint why though.

A small tap on her shoulder pulled Marinette out of her thoughts. Turning, she saw Alya staring at her, an all to familiar look in her eyes. "What is it this time Alya?"

Alya smiled as she snuck out her phone from her pocket. "Yesterday while I was on my way back from Andre's with Nino, I saw Ladybug and Chat Noir. The thing is, Ladybug seemed really out of it. Then I saw this," Alya zoomed in to a picture of Ladybug. She had a look of fear in her eyes, which was directed right to Chat. Marinette shuttered. "She looked way too scared. That's so not like her. What's more, is that she looked scared of Chat."

Marinette gave Alya a blank stare, hoping the facade would get through to her. But in her head, the bluenette was screaming. How had Alya found out so much from a simple look? When did she even get there? Marinette had to admit, her best friend was an amazing reporter.
"Maybe she was just scared for Chat instead of him," Marinette suggested, trying to veer away from the truth.

But Alya shook her head. "That can't be possible. Ladybug has never been scared in general. It would be strange for her to be scared now."

Marinette let out a nervous chuckle. "What if there's just a new Ladybug?" Marinette continued to through false ideas, hoping to get Alya off the right track.

"Not possible. She has the same voice as before, and to top that off, she has the same fighting technique. It can't be that." Alya told her matter-of-factly. "However," Alya began to swipe through different pictures on her phone, pausing at a picture of Ladybug swinging away. "About a few days ago, I was coming back from Nino's, when I saw Ladybug. I took a picture, but when I was evaluating the image, I saw this." Alya began to zoom into Ladybug's arm, where there were visible injuries. "She was hurt, but according to other sources, the villain barely even touched her. At least, not enough to hurt her. Plus, there's the fact the suits are indestructible." Alya turned to her now, extremely nervous friend. "So what if Chat Noir, in any way, had hurt Ladybug."

Marinette stiffened. How had Alya figured all of this out with two pictures? Alya was still talking, but Marinette wasn't paying attention. What if Alya put two and two together, and figured out that she was Ladybug? And if she does find out, will she tell everyone? Marinette was pulled out of her thoughts as she saw a hand wave in front of her face.

"Marinette, are you alright?" Alya raised an eyebrow, worry filling her gaze.

The bluenette wanted to be honest with her friend. She wanted to tell Alya everything. But she knew if she did, she would endanger Alya and her family. So instead, she nodded. "I was just in thought." the bluenette lied. "No worries."

0~0

Adrien listened into their conversations. He hated how silent Marinette would get as soon as Alya mentioned Chat, even if it was only for a brief second. Did Marinette really blame him? Many thoughts raced through Adrien's head. Then came a light bulb. If Marinette knew that Adrien was Chat, she would surely forgive him. She would be like everyone else and give in. He would succeed. She wouldn't hate him anymore. Smiling, Adrien began to write a letter to Marinette. Once he finished he re-read it in his head and nodded in approval. Time to win Marinette back.

0~0

Marinette lightly tapped her pencil against her desk. She sighed as she stared at the blackboard. However, she wasn't even paying attention to what was on it. Instead, she was thinking of a way to lead Alya away from the trail she was on. It was too risky for Alya to know all of this, not only for her but for her family too. Many thoughts ran around wildly in her mind before it came to a stop when a paper was slid on her desk. It was folded in half, and two small letters were printed on.

Read, please.

Marinette hesitated before opening the half folded paper. She began to straighten the symmetrical crease, the small fold getting slightly on her nerves before she began to read it.

Marinette,

I apologize if this letter comes off as strong or gives a wrong vibe, but please hear me out. I was overhearing your conversation with Alya earlier, and I heard what she said about Chat Noir. About how he hurt Ladybug, causing her to be scared of him. The thing is, that I know this wasn't his intention. I know he was only trying to protect you from being hurt. But that's when I realized something I should have figured out long ago. You are Ladybug. I know it's not my place to be in your business like this, but if you want to know more, meet me at the park at 6 pm today. AS LADYBUG.

-A.A.

Marinette felt all the warmth in her body disappear. Did someone find out? Who is A.A? Alya? Alex? Adrien?
That's when it hit her. Adrien. Adrien Agreste. A.A. How did he know? Was it that obvious? Did she reveal too much?

Marinette began to fiddle with her thumbs, not wanting to think of the things that could go wrong, but she failed. What if he hates me? Will he not want to be my friend anymore? What if he tells Chat Noir? The bluenette was not able to concentrate for the rest of the class.

0~0

Marinette walked into the park and sat down on the bench, fear slowly creeping up her stomach. She restlessly played with her fingers as she watched the setting sun, thoughts racing in her head. She lowered her head, the thoughts overwhelming her.

"Marinette. You came."

Marinette's head shot up as she heard the familiar voice. Turning her head, she saw the familiar blond boy running up to her.
"Adrien." Marinette lightly bowed her head. "I'm sorry, but I couldn't come as Ladybug. It would arouse too much suspicion, and I'd rather not bring too much attention."

Adrien nodded. "Whatever you think is best..."

There was a long silence before Marinette broke it. "Please don't tell anyone."

This took Adrien by surprise, however, after a while of slight shock, he burst out laughing. "Did you really think I would do that?"

Marinette looked down at her hands, slightly embarrassed. "Sorry. I'm just not in a great place to trust people right now."

Adrien almost instantly went silent. "O-oh. Why's that?"

Marinette was silent for a few moments before answering. "It's a long story."

"Does it have anything to do with Chat?"

Marinette nodded. "But I'd rather not get into depth with that."

Adrien nodded. After a few moments, Adrien spoke up once more. "Marinette, I need to tell you something."

The bluenette looked up at him. "What is it?"

Adrien stared deep into Marinette's eyes. They were full of doubt and worry, but also slight determination. "I've been meaning to tell you this for a while now. But I just never got the chance." Adrien took a seat next to her. There was an extremely long silence, but Marinette tried not to pressure him into saying something he might not want to say. However, before she could say something, Adrien spoke up. "I'm Chat Noir."

A/N: Pray for my homework tortured soul