Chapter 11: Breakfast

The sleep after a night in the hospital was always different. Just being in your own bed, on your favourite pillow, under your warm covers was everything.

"Wake up sunshine," said a deep voice.

I groaned. "Just five more minutes."

"Come on Lana, I just have to say your cupcake jammies are adorable."

My eyes flew open. I threw my covers over me, holding them to my chest as if they'd protect me.

"Gray! What are you doing here?" I gasped.

"Watching you drool, now get ready for school," he said, poking my makeshift cocoon.

"I didn't drool," I mumbled reaching up to check. Phew! There was nothing. 

I picked up my phone from the nightstand and frowned noticing the time. 

"We still have a lot of time until school starts."

Gray rubbed the back of his neck giving me a bashful look. "I was hoping you'd make some breakfast."

Of course.

I sighed, sitting up and stretching. "Fine, get out and let me change."

Gray gave me a lazy salute before leaving my room.

I put on my best fitted dark washed jeans and an equally flattering top. After finishing up my look, I head downstairs. A savoury aroma hit me making my stomach growl. I located the source. Gray was in the kitchen making some bacon and eggs. The toast popped out of the toaster.

"I thought I was going to cook?" I cocked a brow, going to stand beside him.

"Misconception sweetheart, good morning," he said kissing the top of my head. My face turned reder than red. Gray did not waste any time, but I was okay with that. I liked the way it made me feel.

"What do we have here?" asked James walking in on us. I jumped back feeling like I was caught in the act of murder, but Gray's arm went around my waist pulling me closer. Jame's eyes shot down to his hand. He did not look too happy.

"Making breakfast for my girl," said Gray with his award winning smile.

His girl... I liked the sound of that.

James furrowed his brows. "Your girl? Lana can I talk to you for a moment?"

Oh no. This can't be good.

I followed James to the hall. I shifted from foot to foot waiting for what was to come. 

James looked tired... older.

"Lana..." he sighed. "Him?"

Why did he make it seem like such a bad thing?

"What's wrong with him?" I asked.

"I was him, so everything!" he said throwing his hands in the air. "He's going to hurt you."

"How?" I pushed.

"We use girls then throw them away, it was never anything serious, that's how it's always been," he said.

"But you stopped," I pointed out.

"Because my priorities changed after... you know," he flushed. He meant the accident.

I gulped. "Why are you telling me this now? Why didn't you stop me before?"

James looked embarrassed.

"Because you were so good at pushing away people I didn't think I would have to get involved. I guess I was wrong," he shrugged.

Ouch. He had no right to accuse me without understanding. 

"You are wrong, just because Gray grew up before you doesn't mean you have to be jealous and continue ruining my life," I said, jabbing an angry finger into his chest, getting my verbal revenge. 

It didn't feel so good saying it out loud, especially after seeing his hurt expression.

"Wait no, I didn't mean that," I said, wishing he'd forgive me. I hated myself at the moment. Who even was I right now?

"It's okay kiddo, I was wrong. I just don't want to see you get hurt. I've already lost most of you, if anything happens I know you're not coming back," he said, his eyes filled with sorrow.

He was right, anything more and I was going so downhill that nothing was going to pull me back up again.

"It's a good thing I will never hurt her," said Gray, who was leaning his side against the door frame. 

Uh oh.

"Eavesdropping? Not cool Roland," frowned James.

"I was coming to tell you to come eat before breakfast got cold," he shrugged.

They both stared each other down, doing that whole conversation with the eyes thing. James then walked up to Gray and jabbed a finger on his chest. "I swear Roland you better be serious about this or else the only serious thing would be the damage I will cause you."

"I've never been more serious in my life," he replied, his eyes burning with conviction.

A wide smug grin then appeared on James lips. "Well it's about time you grew some balls and pursued her. Seeing you give those puppy dog eyes every time you saw her was torturing, you passed phase one. Congrats man."

My jaw dropped. What? He knew! What was all this? Why wasn't I aware? Gray laughed and they did that bro hug thing. I was officially confused.

"Mom and Dad are out, I'm going back to sleep. Don't have too much fun. And Gray-- hands will not wander," my brother warned with a stern expression.

A gasp left my lips.

Oh no, no, no. He did not just say that out loud. 

They both laughed at my horrified expression.

Ha ha... not funny.

As James went upstairs, Gray grabbed my hand and pulled me back into the kitchen.

This has been an interesting morning.

---------------------------------

Don't be silent readers!

Vote and comment!

I always love reading what you have to say!

XO