Chapter Twenty Eight: Part One

Start from the beginning

"You don't have to go to work today. I'm sure Morgan will understand."

"Funny, but I'm not lying in this bed all day again. I have to face the music eventually and figure out my life. I have to tell Morgan something. It has to be a really good believable lie on how I'll be 'missing' during the day, but beyond active at night."

"Maybe you should just tell her. For all you know she knows about vampires because of James," Maxwell says, offering his opinion.

"I don't think so. It'll sound crazy. The conversation will sound something like, oh, Morgan, I'm sorry but I can only come out of the house at night because the sun will kill me. What? You want to know why the sun will kill me...well, you see, Maxwell is a vampire and his once best friend who is also a vampire, you know, green eyes killed me with the help of Daisy on Monday night. Maxwell being too attached saved me by turning me into a monster as well." My hands fly up into the air, "See, sounds stupid. The only way she's getting the truth is if she tells me about James or about the existence of vampires first," I retort.

"Suit yourself. The truth is the easiest way around things."

"And you'd know all about spitting the truth out." I tease. "It's also the easiest way to get me admitted into the psych ward." I jump out of bed and in a rush get dressed. I ignore Maxwell's protest as I grab my purse and head for the door.

No one is out the kill me anymore, since they already succeeded in that, so the world safe...for now.

"No kiss goodbye?" he asks, leaning against the kitchen table in his boxers.

"No, I'm still mad at you. I know I should be appreciative I'm not having to get buried, but I'm just not used to the fact that my heart is going to stop beating. I need time."

"I understand," he says with his eyes on the floor.

"However, while you sit here all depressed by my lack of compassion, you can think of what I need to do to make my house vampire safe, because I'm not staying here."

"We can always start fresh and move away seeing as this place has left you with such bad memories."

"Move away? To where?"

"My home. It's not far from here, just a few states over."

"My home is here, my life is here."

"Your human life is here. Maybe it would be better to start fresh with your new life."

"I'll think about it after this is all over with." I compromise as I walk out the door, letting it slam behind me.

He has a house? Like actually lives somewhere instead of a hotel room? I never even thought he had a life prior to tracking me down. I never even realized he left everything behind to convince me to become his bride. The least I can do is consider leaving everything I have behind to convince myself that I belong in this new world that waits for me in a few days' time.

Preparing myself for the sun to blind me as I exit the hotel, to my dismay the sky is a cloudy gray. My hopes of seeing the bright orb before I can't see it again gradually get squashed. The parking lot is mostly empty as I pull into my usual spot. Morgan hasn't arrived yet and thank goodness, because the walk to the front doors brings up nasty memories of Daisy.

My shaking hands show my uneasiness as I sit behind my desk in hope of getting through the day. I look around my office and think about how I'm going to miss it. Not soon after I arrive, Morgan gets here. I can hear her running footsteps coming down the hall.

A breathless Morgan huffs and puffs as she tries to catch her breath in my doorway. Sooner or later she finally speaks. "Charlie, you're back." She might be tired from her run, but not that exhausted because she sprints over to me and engulfs me in a hug, cutting off my airflow.

"Morgan, I'm fine. Really. Not a scratch." I manage to get out of my mouth.

She holds me away at arm's length, inspecting me. "The way Maxwell sounded last night I thought you were dead."

I quirk an eyebrow up at her statement. "Morgan, sit down, I have to tell you something. You see, I'm faced with a very difficult situation that leaves me unable to be here. Either I can close down or if you're willing, I could leave you in charge. You'll still be able to reach me, but I'll be unavailable during certain hours...daytime hours, to be exact." I don't bring up the possibility of leaving the whole city behind. No need to worry her with that until I actually make that decision.

I brace myself for her response. "You don't have to leave, I understand fully. You can come in and work at night and I'll be here during the day. In fact, your situation can give you more business."

"What are you talking about? I'm thankful for your understanding, but you don't exactly know about my situation."

"Charlie. No more lying. I've known about Maxwell for some time now, since you went to Austria with him for your presentation. Why do you think I keep pushing Maxwell on you? I know all about Henry and Daisy and how they tried to kill you. I even know that Maxwell saved you and you're one of them now, but things don't have to change," she pleads.

"One of what now?" I want to play the dumb card and act like I know nothing about what she's talking about, but the things she said were so spot on.

"A vampire, Charlie. James told me everything. I'm in this just as much as you. Well, not as much as you, but you're not alone. Now, instead of leaving, you need to think of new fresh ideas such as parties at midnight and stuff. I'll let you get to work. Glad you're back." With a wink, she leaves my office without anything further to say.

What the fuck just happened? I question myself, shaking my head in disbelief. Morgan has known about Maxwell...vampires altogether for how long? Not as long as me...at least I don't think she has. Yet she's more comfortable with everything more so than I am. That went much easier than I expected. Now, if only this whole transition thing goes just as smoothly.

Turning toward the papers that litter my desk, I put all of my attention on the party that's this Saturday, because for all I know it's going to be the last one I do and it'll be a fun one at that. The ideas that fill my mind for the red carpet themed birthday party makes the time go by faster.

Before I know it, Morgan knocks on the doorframe. "I'm heading out. Are you coming too or are you going to stay for a while longer?" She patiently waits for my reply.

"No, I can leave. I have a lot of preparations to make for the big change." It feels weird and more than awkward talking to Morgan about this whole thing. The idea of being able to talk to someone about it was relieving, but part of me wants to keep it all in, wanting to shoulder the burden myself.

Within several minutes of reassuring Morgan that I'm fine and that I'll see her tomorrow, I finally make my way back to Maxwell. I can only hope he did what I asked of him and has a list of things I can go buy to keep my mind off the inflexible list of things to come. Nothing cures depression like a little shopping.