Chapter 4 - The Horde

I arrived at Limestone Cliffs. They were no zombies in sight yet. I found some Iron Ore laying at the corner of the zone. I hacked away as the iron filled up my backpack fully. I started to get tired as the continuously action of raising your hand and delivering the blow takes up a lot of energy. I lay down on the ground to take a short break before working again.

While resting, thoughts came to my mind. What's the purpose of life anyways? The world is half collapsed, and no one is friendly at all, since all they care about is their own safety and survival. With no corresponding answer pop up from my head, I stood up and started hacking away once again. 

"I know that smell." 

I turned around to see a person holding an AK-47 Rifle. Not pointing at me this time, but pointing at the entrance of the zone. "Get back, survivor. You might want to back it up and equip your best weapons." I scratched my forehead, trying to process what he had just meant. 

"Here it comes! Get ready!"

I looked at the entrance in horror. A wave of Crowd Zombies formed and was heading in our direction. There was no more way to escape. The only way out, is to fight. I took out my nearly broken Glock 17 and sighed. I hope it's enough to deal enough damage to fend them off. Well, here goes nothing.

Me and the other survivor looked at each other and went to our battle stances. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes.

"There is too many of them. Step back." He shed a tear. "What are you doing?!" I shouted at him as he made his way towards the dead. "I should have done this when I was with my daughter." He shed another tear. "Please live on a great life. You have the right to do anything you want if there's no one stopping you, kid. Nice seeing you." He put on a forced smile and said:"I'm coming, my sweet angel...." And with that, the horde feasted on him horribly. 

I could never forget it even if I want to. I cried, thinking why would he do this. I ran back to my house while the horde was busy on the now dead and rotten, body. I sighed with disbelief. I prayed to the sky, hoping that he is fine up there.