11)Calla

"Uh, ma'am, is this a sugar free latte??"
I stared at the frumpy, middle-aged woman speaking to me. She was annoying enough to remove the lid to her coffee and sniff it without ever tasting what was in it. Her hair hung in greasy dark ringlets that were around her face. Her eyes looked beady and bug like under the bulky frame of her red-rimmed glasses. I worked to keep the clearly fake 'customer service smile' plastered on my face that Tanner trained me how to use. He claimed that was how he managed to trick customers into thinking he liked them when he really didn't. I thought a trick like that was surely to be beneficial since I was finding I hated most customers that walked through the door. Them and their greedy little minds wanting stupid coffee creations or being unable to handle us running out of a certain bagel come one in the afternoon. As if that was the end of their worlds as they knew it. Why couldn't a basilisk ever attack people like that?
"Yes ma'am, it's your fat-free sugar-free latte with skim milk."
The woman watches me as she takes a drink. Her beady eyes never leave mine. "This doesn't taste sugar free."
The line to Beagle's Bagels was becoming backed up due to this woman wasting my time. A mother with two crying toddlers wanted her scones. An older man was sighing dramatically as if his life was being majorly inconvenienced by me not simply ignoring this woman. Tommy, my coworker, was busy trying to keep up with his own ridiculously long coffee order a man was throwing him. He couldn't hear the stupid conversation taking place where I was at. "I followed the directions perfectly," I explain with my same cheery fake smile. "I assure you its sugar and fat free."
The woman scowled. "At Starbucks they would offer me a FREE coffee to compensate an obvious mistake."
I made no mistake, that much I was certain of. Clearly this woman just didn't want to pay the five-fifty for her cup of grossness.
Right as I was about to tell the woman where she and her disgusting limited calorie latte could go, a familiar person waved as he walked inside the shop. Sammy had arrived.
I saw Tommy was now free once his customer and his wife were gone. There was only a few people in my line left. Knowing I was overdue for my ten-minute break, I waved him over. But not before snatching the woman's coffee she had started to drink again before setting on the counter. I started to dump it out to the woman's clear dismay. "Hey Tommy, can you make this lady another fat-free sugar-free latte with skim? She didn't like mine." I turned back to the woman, wearing my same false-cheery smile. "That'll be five-fifty ma'am."
I received such a large dose of satisfaction leaving that angry woman in the hands of poor Tommy. From the way she had been sipping the coffee yet complaining, it had been made to her satisfaction. She just wanted to complain once it came time to pay her bill.
After helping a young boy replace his cookie after he dropped it by accident, I removed my apron and went to greet Sam.
I was happy to see him. After the adventure with the basilisk a few days before and everything that happened with Dedun, I was thankful to see his familiar face. I hadn't seen Dedun since he said he would 'give me time to think'. I'm not sure what he wanted me to consider. I didn't care to ever see Artemis or her goons again, and I would rather never again seen an old man burst into a large snake. Although, I was having trouble with the idea of never again remembering that adventure. I wasn't sure if I wanted my memory erased. So, the past few days have been spent earning my wage at Beagle's Bagels and scrapbooking with my grandma during my free time. Gluing pictures and crazy designs on colored paper helped calm my mind. Plus, it was making Grandma Diane happy that we were spending time together.
"That looked fun," acknowledged Sam, nodding his head at the rude woman who was now complaining to Tommy over the exact same thing.
I snorted. "Sometimes we get people who want to start trouble to get something for free. Gotta love customer service." I gave a cheesy thumbs up that he smiled at.
"I feel like we haven't seen each other in a few days."
"Let's catch up, I'm on break." I gave a wave to a now exasperated looking Tommy to show I'm on break. A middle-aged man in line was now telling the woman to just pay for her coffee and leave because she was holding up the line.
I followed Sam outside, the jingling sound of the door following us on our way out. "What have you been up to lately, Gabs?"
I followed him to a table closest to the railing overlooking the marina. Sitting myself down, I wondered how angry Dedun would be if I explained to Sam all about the basilisk, Artemis and her rude band of hunters, the murders in Kenosha, and that a talking cat was insinuating our dead mom was actually some famous Greek Goddess. I looked Sammy in the eyes and struggled to find words to describe the last few days.
"Kenosha has been interesting," I said with a serious nod. There was a good chance my big brother would have me committed to a mental ward if I dared tell him of everything that I knew.
"You're warming up to the city," he said with a grin.
"I wouldn't go that far," I say with a dramatic sigh. "What about you, Grandma told me you were on a date?"
Sam looked a tad embarrassed. He let out a small laugh and I could see his cheeks tinted in the tiniest bit of a blush. "It's crazy, right? It came out of nowhere." He was mum after that, causing me to bounce in my seat. I shook my hands excitedly as he remained silent.
"Oh c'mon! You gotta give me more to go on! What's her name, what's she like?" I was genuinely happy for Sam. It was about time he moved on with someone, even if we were technically only here for the summer and not long term. Someone even short term was better than his annoying ex-girlfriend back home.
"Her name is Calla," Sam finally revealed, a coy smile taking place on his lips. "We met the other day when I was coming to pick you up from your shift, the one you missed."
"I maintain I wasn't aware I worked that day," I muttered, examining my still perfect manicured fingernails. I needed to remind myself to schedule a new appointment for a manicure here in Kenosha.
"It doesn't matter," said Sam with a smile. "I was just walking down the pier to my car and then bam, I meet Calla. You'll love her Gabi, she's intelligent, beautiful, funny, and so sweet!"
I smiled and nodded appreciatingly, but I would have to judge for myself. After hearing a few the same adjectives used to describe Kelly, I learned Sammy didn't have the best character judgement.
Sam's eyes suddenly lit up by something he saw behind me. "You'll get the chance to meet her now, Gabs. Hey, Calla!"
I turned around in my seat to get a good look at this smart-funny-beautiful-sweet girl. My eyes widened in surprise as I saw someone very familiar. The girl that walked towards us on the dock of Beagle's Bagels was beyond beautiful, she was gorgeous, easily rivaling the prettiest models that can be found on the catwalk. Her golden blonde hair glistened in the sun, it was tied in a pretty loose braid that cascaded down her left shoulder. A cute green starfish clip was fastened to where I suspected the ponytail holder was. The young woman wore a cream camisole tank top and faded denim blue jean shorts. Simple flipflops covered her feet, but she easily towered over my petite frame by three inches.
"You must be Gabi," smiled the girl as Sam hastily stood to greet her with a hug. Her voice was lovely, musical and enchanting. There was a beautiful accent attached to it. "I am Calla."
"Yeah, we've met!" I instantly recall. The night on the beach when I had encountered the creepy men, this girl had been there. She walked me home that night. By the time I had looked behind me to thank her again, she had been gone.
Sam did a double take. I noticed how his right hand didn't leave Calla's back after their warm embrace. "You have?"
"Have we?" said Calla in astonishment. "I am certain I would remember someone with looks as lovely as yours."
I blushed. Although I would admit I have my cute moments, I was probably an ugly ragamuffin compared to this gorgeous girl. She was good at flattering someone. "Um, yeah," I said, certain I was still blushing. "That night of the bonfire? You walked me home?"
For a moment I felt the girl was going to deny we had ever met. It seemed once she sensed I was certain it was the two of us who had met, she decided to go along with it.
"Ah, now I recall," said the girl with a nod. She gave a glittering smile. "It's nice to officially meet your acquaintance."
"Yours as well," I said with a return smile. "So, how long have you lived in Kenosha?"
"Hey guys, I'm gonna get some drinks. What can I get you?" I watched the adoring, puppy-dog stare Sam provided Calla. It wasn't just lust; it was longing, and it made me feel uncomfortable, as if I was intruding on a very personal moment. It almost felt as if Sam would do anything, give Calla anything in the world she wanted if she only asked. It was disturbing. I shook off the uncomfortable thought.
I'm not quite sure what propelled it.
It's your instincts, Gabrielle...
The voice sounded in my head similar to the day of the basilisk attack. Faint, but loud enough to propel me to stand immediately. I looked around in wonder as if the speaker was simply behind me or hiding under the dull patio table. Sam didn't see my odd jump, but Calla did. Her eyes didn't leave mine as she replied to my brother. "Just a simple herbal tea, please," she said before giving Sam a peck on the cheek. The small moment looked as though it not only made Sam's day, but his entire year. He returned a small kiss to her flawless lips. Calla returned this kiss, pressing some passion into it and causing it to turn into an open-mouthed kiss before softly breaking away. Sam then hurried into the building. That also made me slightly uncomfortable. Sam had never been one to express PDA before, especially so openly in front of me.
"I'll take an expresso," I mutter sarcastically, amused he's so infatuated he seemed to forget I was near to ask if I wanted anything.
"Boys," murmured Calla with a playful wink. She sat down in the seat across from me. There was something off about her. It wasn't because of her perfect looks and pristine way of walking and talking. I couldn't quite put my finger on what was suddenly wrong to me. Calla crossed one flawlessly smooth leg over the other, oblivious to the two older men who were ogling her from across the deck. She knew she was gorgeous, and I had a feeling she played on that knowledge. "I haven't lived here long," said Calla, finally answering my question. "It was a whirlwind experience meeting your brother."
"Do you remember the night we met?" I said, unsure why I had such a weird feeling about this girl. "The bonfire, all those guys?"
Calla watched me soundlessly. It inspired me to continue. "They were murdered."
I didn't really know if it was those men specifically that were killed on the beach. I'm not even sure why I felt compelled to tell Calla this. It wasn't a great conversation starter with your brother's new girlfriend. But something felt off about this girl and I had no rational explanation for why that was. She had been nothing but pleasant so far. Calla's beautiful face remained expressionless. "How unfortunate."
Neither of us said anything else after that. A few moments of silence trickled by where we did nothing but watch one another. I strongly had the feeling Calla wasn't finding that information unfortunate at all. Her face showed nothing in response to this news. She really didn't hold any emotion for the people that are now dead.
Wolf in sheep's clothing...
The voice in my head only added into what my thoughts already were. I now decided I didn't trust Calla. It appeared the young woman sitting across from me was privy to my feelings without my having to voice them or show any dislike in general. "How old are you, Gabi?" Her sapphire eyes never left mine.
"Fifteen," I answered promptly, unable to break the eye contact we were holding. "How old are you?"
"Old enough to know from experience," said Calla softly. "Old enough to know you are wise for not wishing to connect yourself to the goddess of the hunt."
There it was. There was the undeniable proof there was something weird about this chick even though we hadn't known each other for fifteen minutes.
She clearly wasn't human to know who Artemis was.
***