Aunt Danna was a middle-aged woman, stout and kind-looking, and for a moment, Alia was so homesick for her mother that her eyes filled up with tears. She blinked them away quickly and greeted the shop-keeper.

"Hello, miss," the woman said, straightening the leather apron she wore. "You're not from around here, are you?"

Her eyes seemed keen and intelligent, and for a moment Alia panicked. Did this woman know of her banishment? Kit's story to the man with the cart came to mind. "No, Mistress; we came in to go to the market today."

Danna nodded, smiling a little. "And what are you here for then?"

"Um... I was wondering if you had linen squares, for... for moon blood." The last words were nearly a whisper, but the herbalist straightened up immediately.

"Oh, miss, never tell me you came into market with a young man and started your moon time."

Alia nodded, chagrined at the memory.

"Well, dear, you're in luck, because I have plenty of fine linen that will suit you perfectly." She turned and bent down to a cupboard, rustling around in it before pulling out a stack of linen squares. "Here."

"Oh, thank you!" said Alia, feeling incredibly grateful. She held out the coin, but Danna shook her head.

"No charge, miss. And if you have time, I'll brew you a cup of my special blend of tea, too. It helps with the pain and the swelling."

Alia glanced back out the door, but the square wasn't visible at this angle. "I'd better not," she said reluctantly. "He might be waiting for me."

The herbalist's eyes crinkled with good humor and understanding, and she grabbed another square of linen and stepped over to one of the many clay jars lining the walls. Two scoops of herbs went into the fabric, and then she twisted it up deftly. "Here, then. Brew a cup tonight if it still bothers you."

"Thank you, Mistress," Alia said fervently. This small kindness was almost overwhelming after the last two terrifying, uncomfortable days. "Are you sure you won't take it?" She held out the coin again, but still Mistress Danna shook her head.

"I'm sure," she said cheerfully. "Go on now. Find something nicer than this to spend your market money on."

With a nod and a tremulous smile, Alia left the store. The bench was still empty, and Kit didn't seem to be looking around anywhere nearby. She thought of sitting down obediently, but this was a new town and a new place to explore. The bench could wait. A stall stocked with desert pottery drew her in—she'd seen a few pieces before, but never this many. Beautiful geometric designs in earthy colors wrapped around a shallow bowl, and she was leaned in staring at it when a hand landed on her shoulder.

"Alia, there you are," said Kit's voice.

It took her a moment for her to completely pull her attention away from the pottery and stand up.

"Oh, come on," Kit said. "You haven't got any money, or any place to carry it for that matter. And we're going to the desert. I'm sure there will be plenty of others."

She flushed at his irritated tone. "I know," she said as they walked away. "I was only looking." It wasn't as though she'd actually thought of buying it.

When they reached the edge of the square, he sat down his parcels, and Alia overcame her irritation enough to really see what he had. There was another leather pack, rough and used-looking, and two rolls of shiny looking woven cloth. Kit clipped on to each of the packs—his and the new one, which Alia realized was hers—before tucking a few wrapped parcels and pouches into it. Lastly, he handed her a tarnished, stained-looking leather canteen. "Go fill this," he said, gesturing to a well over at the corner of the square.