"But I've ruined everything now," Grielle said into the shoulder of Reyn's tunic.

"Not quite. We got Benedikt to agree to go on with the masquerade. You can still meet him if you want to, but he can only wait until midnight when the council has decreed he must choose his bride."

Grielle wiped away her tears with the heel of her hand, panic fluttering through her chest. The sky had grown dark since they entered the room. Crowds packed the streets with musicians and dancing. It would take much longer than usual to get to the castle gates.

"We have to go!" Grielle exclaimed. "The streets are full and — Oh! I have nothing to wear!"

Reyn smiled wryly and opened the door. Ludvig and Moose stuck their heads into the room. "Hello, darling!" Moose exclaimed.

Grielle's heartfelt fit to burst at the sight of their smiling faces, but she was also glad to see her pale pink ball gown in Moose's arms. She never could have imagined being so happy to see the satin monstrosity again. "My dress!" she laughed, pulling it into her arms and hugging it to her chest.

"Now you two, out!" Reyn said, pushing the men back out into the hallway. "I need to get our princess ready."

With the door closed, Grielle removed her tunic and pants and allowed Reyn to lace her into the hidden corset of the strapless gown. Then came the pearl buttons down the back of the dress and the diamond necklace — Benedikt's gift. They felt heavy and cold on Grielle's bare throat, but she didn't mind the sensation. Neither Reyn nor Grielle had much ability when it came to dressing hair, but over the previous days, the castle maids had tended to Grielle's hair with fancy oils, and now it fell in soft waves down her back. To keep it from her face, they braided the sides and pulled them to meet at the back of her head where they were tied with the ribbons of the mask from Benedikt.

There were no mirrors in the tiny inn room to check her appearance, but Grielle didn't care. "To the ball?" she asked once Reyn had checked to make sure everything was in place.

Reyn smiled. "To the ball!"

They headed into the hallway, taking care to make sure Grielle's gown didn't catch on the rough wood of the door. Grielle felt her cheeks color as Moose and Ludvig gave her stunned looks.

"If I didn't know you, I'd think you were royalty," Moose said, dabbing a handkerchief to his glistening eyes.

"We don't have time for your blubbering," Ludvig said, putting an arm behind Grielle's back and ushering her toward the stairs. "We only have three hours or so until midnight."

"That's plenty of time to get her to the ball," Moose objected.

"We're not taking any chances," Reyn said, slinging Grielle's pack over her shoulder.

"Speaking of chances. I can't stand being unarmed." Grielle stopped on the landing of the stairs down to the tavern and pulled her long, flat, stiletto blade and sheath from the pack Reyn carried. Careful to make sure it wouldn't show through the fabric of her bodice, she slid the covered blade to sit against the skin of her stomach. "There," she said. "Now I'm ready for a masquerade."

Ludvig snickered and they continued down the stairs, through the tavern, past the slack-jawed innkeeper, and out into the streets of Stalvart. High above them, the castle windows twinkled gold against the dark outline of the mountain. Grielle's pulse quickened in panic. Somewhere, perhaps in one of those windows, Benedikt waited for her.

And she was coming.

~

Benedikt stood at the window of the tallest tower where he'd shown Grielle his kingdom. He watched the bustle of the city below, the celebrations spilling out from the taverns and into the streets, but he didn't feel like celebrating.