10 | Danger on the horizon

"Y/N, wake up."

Your breath hitched in your dry throat as you lurched forwards in your seat, blinking your eyes sleepily. The low hum of Ratchet's engine filled your ears. Right, he was still driving. It had been a few days since you found Ironhide and you were still searching for any sign of the others.

"What's going on...?" You asked in a drowsy tone, not being able to contain a yawn. "Did we find them?"

"No," Ironhide's voice crackled over the radio. You had almost forgotten he was there. "but we did find a place to stop and stretch our legs. Should be safe for now."

You rubbed your eyes and stretched. "That's great. My legs are still asleep.." You muttered, lightly shaking each leg to try and rid yourself of the pins and needles feeling.

Things got a bit bumpy as Ratchet pulled off the road and slowed to a stop behind an old gas station that had been completely overgrown by nature. Ironhide came up beside him, not wasting any time transforming into his bipedal form.

You climbed out of Ratchet's alt-mode, wincing as your joints cracked in protest. Being cooped up in a small space for hours on end definitely wasn't ideal. "How long have we been driving?" You asked, stretching one of your arms behind your head. You could feel the humidity hanging heavily in the air. It made your skin sticky.

"At least five hours." Ratchet replied while he stretched his own limbs, working out the stiffness in them.

"It seems like we've made no progress at all. Everything looks the same." Ironhide grumbled, peering down at you with blue optics. His glossy black paint job gleamed in the sun, though you could only imagine how hot he must be right now. Black absorbed heat. You needed to remember that so you didn't accidentally burn yourself.

"Yeah, things are pretty flat out here." You acknowledged him. "But it's mostly deserted. A perfect place to hide away from prying eyes."

Ratchet seemed interested in what you had said, his gaze immediately falling upon you. "Perhaps Optimus and the others have hidden themselves away somewhere out here. Based on what you said, that would seem like the most logical option given our current situation."

You hadn't even realized it, only just now making the connection. "You're a genius, Ratchet!"

"Hey, I hate to ruin things, but we've got company." Ironhide spoke up. "I've got one bogey heading straight towards us on my scanners." He glanced at Ratchet, his cannons already whirring to life. "Should we engage?"

Ratchet turned his gaze towards the sky, his optics narrowing. Through the heatwaves, his enhanced vision allowed him to spot a fighter jet in the distance. "That aircraft is moving at too high of a speed for it to be human-operated." He muttered, transforming one hand into a blaster. "Y/N, it would be best for you to take cover."

You nodded, swiftly turning on your heel and racing towards the gas station. Your heart pounded in your chest as you ducked inside and took cover behind a concrete wall. If that aircraft wasn't human-operated, then could it possibly be a Decepticon? Or maybe a drone sent by the government to kill Ironhide and Ratchet? Both options seemed plausible, but only one was more likely than the other.

Ironhide and Ratchet lumbered around the side of the building, their weapons at the ready. Their heavy footsteps made the ground tremble with each step. They stood their ground in front of the gas station, knowing that you were hidden away somewhere inside.

The jet grew closer and closer, so much so that you began to hear the roar of its engines in the silent air. When it came within a mile or so of the gas station, it suddenly folded in on itself and transformed into a bipedal being, landing with a massive thud that kicked up a cloud of dust and dirt in the process.

Ratchet blinked away the dust and widened his stance, his optics narrowing on the figure that emerged from the cloud. They were obviously Decepticon, yet he had never seen them before.

"One more step and I'll blow that ugly head of yours right off your shoulders." Ironhide growled threateningly, aiming his cannons at the Decepticon.

The Decepticon only threw his head back in a fit of laughter that anyone would recognize. "I must say... I am quite surprised to see you alive and well, Ironhide." He sneered. "And here I was hoping that Sentinel had actually finished you off. Guess you can't believe everything you're told."

Ratchet's optics widened in disbelief. "Starscream? You're supposed to be dead."

"Do I look dead to you, Autobot?" Starscream spat. "Those pathetic humans were foolish to think they could get rid of me that easily."

"What kind of twisted science experiment did you spawn from? I oughta send you back." Ironhide muttered in disgust. "I've got a clear shot, Ratch. Just gimme the word."

Ratchet held his hand up instead. "Wait. How exactly were you able to create a new form for yourself? That should be impossible, seeing that we possess no technology to do so on this planet." He questioned the seeker.

"Even if I told you, you wouldn't live long enough to tell anyone." Starscream raised his arms, pointing his missiles directly at them. "Prepare to finally meet your deserved demise, Autobots!"

***

I am SO sorry for not updating in forever! I kind of forgot this book and got caught up in other ones! I hope to keep up a decent update schedule with this one from now on, lol

Anyways, what are your thoughts on this chapter? Any predictions as to how Screamer came back to life with a new body? Hopefully you guys are still enjoying this book despite the crazy update schedule!