Chapter Fifty Four

Marcy wiped her hands on her apron. She had the spaghetti in the oven with appetizers warming.

Mal walked in. "We can still call this off."

"Nope. We need to apologize the right way. The way Laura taught us."

"Laura!" He growled the name.

She smiled. "Are they okay with their movie?"

"Yeah." He leaned on the counter. They'd set the kids up with a laptop with a children's movie on it for them to go to sleep to.

"Good. Bryan said he'd be here by now so-" The doorbell rang. "It's him. Or her. Is she punctual?"

"No."

"Sad." She shook her head with pursed lips. "Go. I've got to finish bringing this out."

He left while she brought food to the small, usually unused dining room. By the time she was done, the doorbell rang again.

She went to the kitchen for the virgin pineapple mango daiquiris she'd made then to the living room. "Hello."

Bryan and Cynthia took the drinks uncomfortably. "Thank you."

"You're welcome. Would you like a bacon wrapped meatball, some veggies or a caprese puff pastry?"

"You can cook?" Cynthia sulked.

Marcy shrugged. "Try your drink."

Bryan sipped it. "Wow! That's good!"

Marcy smiled.

Bryan smiled back.

Mal arched a jealous brow.

Cynthia saw and pouted.

"Mommy?" Mally walked in with his pajamas on.

"What's wrong, honey?" Marcy turned to him.

Mally frowned at his parents' ex lovers but told his mom why he was out of bed. "Sola's crying. It's too scary for her."

"Is it too scary for her or are you scaring her?" Marcy lifted a knowing brow.

Mally pouted.

"Baby, you've got to stop scaring your little sister. Or I'm going to beat you up."

His pout increased.

"Excuse me." Marcy smiled apologetically at the adults before taking Mally's hand to swing him up into her arms. She kissed his plump cheek repeatedly as she left the room.

Mal jerked his head towards the dining room. "We can go sit down. I'll check on the food."

Cynthia assumed they were going to the kitchen but was surprised at seeing the dining room. "I didn't know you had this room."

"A dining room?" He looked surprised.

"I never saw it."

"Hmm." He didn't know what to say to that so he just made his excuses and fled to the kitchen.

"Why are we here?" Bryan asked pointblank.

Cynthia shrugged. "He wouldn't say anything beyond I had to come before it was too late."

"She said the same." He was totally suspicious.

But she was worried.

Marcy walked in a minute later. "Sorry about that."

He eyed her. She sure looked different to the last time he saw her. Gone was the baggy black and in its place was a vibrant tight green. She looked really good.