Chapter Thirty One

"What are we doing today?" Mally wanted to know.

"You're going to the eye doctor." Marcy told him.

"Alone?" Mickey fretted.

"No, we'll be with you."

Mickey relaxed and went back to her breakfast.

"We're also seeing your teacher today." Mal slipped in.

"Are we in trouble?"

"No."

The rest of breakfast passed amicably before Mal washed the dishes and Marcy got the twins ready for the day. While she was in the public bathroom, he went to use the private one when he finished with the kitchen.

When she was done with the kids, she sat on the couch with them until he returned then she went to get ready. Once she finished, they left.

The quartet went to the Tiger Club Vision Center. They went inside and signed in before sitting to wait.

Mally and Mickey enjoyed the movie being played on the TV screen set up in the corner so everyone in the waiting room could see.

Five minutes later, both twins were called back so Mal took Mally and Marcy took Mickey to separate rooms.

OF

Mal tapped Mally's arm as the little boy tried on frames. "There's Mommy and Mickey."

Mally turned with a large smile and waved.

Marcy and Mickey waved back as they entered the space. Mickey's doctor led them to a different part of the wall to show them that she (Mickey) had plenty of options.

Mally gave back the frames he'd been wearing. "Can I see those red ones?"

The eye doctor plucked them from the wall and handed them to the little boy. "You have to tell me how they fit."

Mally put them on. He frowned as he played with them a bit. "They fit okay."

"Just "okay"?" Mal pressed.

Mally took the glasses off and examined them.

"Are you still worried about being teased?" Mal got down on one knee.

Mally nodded slowly.

Mal swallowed. "I won't tell you that no one will tease you. Jerks are everywhere. But that's just it. They're jerks. You ignore what they say because you know your self worth isn't made up of what they think of you. Okay?"

Mally thought through all those words. "Self worth?"

"How you feel about yourself."

Mally nodded slowly. "Okay."

"Okay?"

Mally nodded again. "I like these and they fit."

Mal smiled. "Good choice."

OF

The Changs walked into the Davidsons.

The twins looked around, fully realizing that things wouldn't be the same. Mickey burst into tears.

Mal went to pick her up. "It's okay, Mick. Cry it out."

Marcy went to Mally and picked him up, setting him on her hip as she went upstairs. She went to the twins' old room and opened the door.

Mally set his chin on her shoulder and stared at her.

She turned on the light and saw that most things were gone. "Do you want to help me pack your room?"