Chapter Forty One

Mally chewed on his breadstick. "When are we going home?"

"Tomorrow." Marcy wiped his face.

"What?" Mercedes pouted. "You're not coming home for New Years?"

"Why would I?"

"Mal?"

Mal played with his fork. "Mercy,-"

"You don't want to be around us?" Beth could cry.

"That's not true." Quinn soothed her. "They probably have work."

Mike grimaced. He didn't have work for a while but that didn't mean he was going home either.

"Are you not coming home?" Mercedes questioned.

"Mercy,-"

She burst into tears.

"Don't cry, Mercy." Marc felt out of sorts.

Mercedes got up and fled to the bathroom. Quinn went after her.

Laura sighed.

OF

Laura checked her phone as they made it back to the hotel. "Our parents want to see us."

"Great..." Marcy wouldn't be enjoying this.

"Where?" Marc asked.

"In a conference room." Laura reported.

The adults groaned before shuffling to the correct conference room. Marcus, Michael, Judy, Rose, Russell and Jeanette were waiting.

Michael spoke. "What's this about you not coming home for New Years?"

"Really?!" Marcy turned on Mercedes. "You just had to go and snitch because you weren't getting your way?!"

Mercedes sniffled.

"It was me." Quinn defended her.

"Oh. That's more believable." Marcy crossed her arms.

"Marcy." Rose tried.

"Do not talk to me." Marcy wouldn't even look at her.

"That is your mother!" Russell defended Rose.

Marcy bent to look Mally in the eye. "Take your sisters and cousins and stand out in the hall. Don't go anywhere and if someone you don't know comes up to you, come back inside."

Mally chewed on his lip.

"Go." Marcy kept her tone mild.

Laura gave him Lucas and the kids left.

Mike shut the door.

Marcy turned to Russell. "Who do you think you are?"

Russell was expressly shocked. Though sassy and rude, Marcy had always been respectful of her elders. "Excuse me?"

"You think that just because you forced yourself back into their lives that I care about what you think?" Her tone was mocking but her face was dead serious.

"Young lady,-!" Michael started.

"Do not come at me with that fatherly bull!" She had waited a long time for this and actually felt lightheaded with excitement that she'd be able to get this off her chest. "The six of you have a lot of nerve expecting anything out of us with the way you were and continue to be!"

Jeanette heaved a heavy sigh. "We were good parents! You left us!"

"We saved ourselves!" Marcy spat. "No, you didn't beat us and you didn't rape us and you didn't even call us stupid so we should be just damn happy with how you still dropped the ball!"