09 | goℓ∂ rυѕн

Start from the beginning

"Wait."

He glanced over his shoulder. "What?"

I couldn't believe I was actually attempting to apologize. "That was mean, I'm sorry. You can stick around for breakfast, or something." I rubbed the back of my neck in search for the right words to say. "Well, I can't really cook. Maybe Amy can make you something if you'd like and I can give you a ride to school."

Somehow, I had gotten him to smile. He glanced down at the floor momentarily, still smiling, before shaking his head. "I'm good, Scar. I understand I've overstepped some boundaries by climbing into bed with you. Totally unprofessional. Won't happen again." Jamie turned to the door again, fully intent on leaving.

"Look, I don't mean to be mean. I should be thanking you for saving my ass last night," I admitted truthfully. I didn't remember much from the previous night other than a sip too many and Francesca making out with Trey. Knowing that my rage would have impelled me to do something drastic, I was actually glad Jamie was there to look out for me. "Come on, I'll drive you."

Jamie paused in the doorway, leaning his tall build on the door frame. "You're not seriously thinking of going to school, are you? You're hungover and I still don't think it's healthy for you to see Francesca so soon."

I scoffed and dismissed his absurd notion with a wave of my hand. "Dude, I'm totally fine," I lied through gritted teeth. He raised an eyebrow which told me he knew I wasn't, but I didn't want him to give him the satisfaction. "Seriously, I am."

He crossed his arms against his chest and gave me a stern look. "You're too convincing, Patterson," he said with sarcasm coating his words. "Has anyone ever told you how much of a bad liar you are?"

It bothered me that he was able to see through my lies. In fact, I hated that he knew me enough to know when I was lying. We'd only known each other for a few days and he already knew more about me than I did about him.

"Okay," I sighed heavily, giving in. "What do you want me to do? Skip school? I care about my grades."

Jamie grinned widely. "Sure you do." He placed a hand in my shoulder and shrugged. "How about we just hang out today? Maybe it'll get your mind off the whole slutty girlfriend thing?"

I shot him a deadly glare, but his only response was a cheeky grin before he turned around, headed through the narrow hallway, and down the stairs. Almost immediately, Amy came stalking towards him with her pudgy arms folded against her chest and her lips pressed into a firm, thin line.

Her colorless eyes darted between us for a few moments before she spoke up. "Good morning to you both."

I rolled my eyes as soon as I descended the staircase. "Please go away, Amy."

She tapped her foot impatiently on the floor. "How was your night?" The question was directed towards me, based on her narrowed gaze.

Ignoring her question, I waltzed into the kitchen and tugged on the fridge door, pulling out a protein shake and screwing it open. I really wasn't in the mood to deal with Amy. Sure, I was testing the waters with this sibling bonding thing, but it didn't mean I was obliged to abide by it's rules every second of the day. I would lay off the fat jokes for now but she wasn't getting anything more than that.

But she kept her fixed gaze on me, indicating that she wanted to talk to me privately.

I cleared my throat. "Hey Jamie. Why don't you wait for me in the car?"

He gave us both a skeptical look before silently nodding and making his way to the front door.

Returning my gaze to my sister, I spat, "Why are you looking me that?"