27 | soғα

Thank you @girl_full_of_sarcasm for the cover on the side

It's cold outside again

And we're both so high

Chapter 27 ~ Sofa

     Scar Patterson

"Are you just gonna ignore me forever?" The question rolled off my tongue before I could help myself. My fingers enclosed around the steering wheel in a tight grip as I tried to relax my voice, in an effort to soothe Jamie's growing feelings of anger towards me.

I took one glance over at him and saw his jaw was clenched tightly as he stared straight ahead.

I knew he was mad at me. I was mad at myself for not thinking of how this particular revelation would affect him. He was normally an easy-going guy by not getting mad at many things, but this had to have been a big deal if he was ignoring me. "Babe."

He didn't even flinch at my words. It was like his mind had drifted into an unknown place where he couldn't be recovered.

I drummed my fingers against the wheel, contemplating what to say. What could I say? Sorry I gave you the same present I gave Francesca? Sorry that I don't know what to get you because I really don't know that much about you? Sorry that this is my first time dating a boy, so I have no idea what to buy another a dude?

They seemed like plausible excuses to me, but they were just that - excuses.

I knew Jamie wouldn't want to hear any of it, so I did what I could. "Jamie, I'm sorry."

His mouth tightened at the corners. "Stop talking."

I jumped in surprise, not expecting him to give in so quickly. "I'm not going to stop talking. If we're having a fight, then I'm going to do everything in my power to resolve it."

"We're not having a fight," he spat. "I'm trying to enjoy the silence and you're talking too much."

My brows knitted together. "So, you're not mad at me?"

He finally turned to face me and I swear I'd never seen his eyes look so dark before. "Oh, I'm mad at you, but fighting over it won't make you realize how stupid you are for treating me like your goddamn ex-girlfriend."

"What? I'm not treating you like Francesca."

"Really?" He countered with his eyebrows raised at their highest point. "Then please, explain the necklace."

I released a heavy sigh. "What else was I supposed to get you? Diamond earrings? I don't know if you noticed, but shopping for a dude is extremely hard."

Jamie sucked in a frustrated breath and sunk further into his seat, a growing frown forming on his face. "I would've been fine with anything you got me, Scar. The fact that it comes from you and your heart is what makes it special. Not because it's expensive or it's hard to find. Getting me something that you've already given someone else doesn't make me feel special, Scar."

I clenched my jaw. "You are special."

"Prove it," he snapped back. "Prove that you see me as Jamie, your boyfriend, and not Francesca, your ex-girlfriend."

My mouth clamped shut in response. My grip on the wheel tightened and I focused all my attention on the road ahead of me, not wanting to dig a deeper hole for myself. I hated that he was right and I hated myself even more for being so stupid in the first place.

The remaining duration of the drive was filled with dead silence, with neither of us wanting ot make matters worse. Because of this, I expected Jamie to stay in the car once I pulled into the driveway of Trey's three story house - which was still trashed from his New Years' Eve party. Not wanting to break the silence but still curious, I said to him, "You could've stayed in the car, you know."