Chapter 2 - The Gift

- Thursday, February 13th, 2003, Light snow, 3 pm.

After school, Dib appeared at a local store to buy candy. He would have to go the traditional Valentine's Day route since Zim couldn't touch or eat meat. He looked at the money he had and decided to go with a small candy box. He was silent while he looked around the store for the supplies. A peculiar dream he had last night was still replaying in the back of his mind.

He remembered the dream starting with a smile Zim gave him. He was with him in who knows where in the sparkly depths of space. They were floating around in space with locked hands and spinning slowly, as if they were orbiting around the other. Dib had always wanted to adventure out in the grand unknown and Zim was willing to be his guide that night. He thought about the varying shapes and colors of the planets that were so far, yet right there. However, space was rather cold like his bedroom.

Dib felt his body still adjusting to reality after floating around in space, holding Zim's hands. He loved the feeling of floating and holding onto someone who seemed trustworthy. He and Zim were light years away from their homes, yet together, they didn't feel alone in the vastness of space. It's been a long time since Dib was able to really breathe, and he wasn't awake for it.

"Hey, son! Do ya need help?" A store clerk said.

Dib flinched and only came half way back into reality. He looked at the man.

"We have Valentine's Day weenie boxes for sale! Five dollars!" He said with a big smile.

"No, thank you..." Dib replied quietly.

________________________________________________________

Meanwhile, Zim was at home looking out his window. He could hear Gir laughing chaotically while making heart shaped waffles for the holiday. Gir was mixing quickly on the counter, then fell with a thud. Zim a harsh glance at him for interrupting his thoughts. Gir walked over to Zim with the bowl on his head.

"I'm making waffles," Gir said.

"Gir?" Zim asked, "Have you noticed that Dib's become a lot less... alert? It's rather strange for him. He looks sadder... Is he sick?"

Gir was licking the batter off of his head and walked off to make another batch.

"It seems like he doesn't even chase after me anymore... Am I boring to him now?"

Gir was pouring in the mix. He noticed the sad look on Zim's face, "Ziiiiim? Can we not destroy Dib anymore?" Gir asked.

"Ehn?" He glared at Gir, "No... Why?"

Gir shrugged. Zim looked at him longer for an answer. Gir hugged his bowl a little tighter.

"....Weeeell..." Gir started, "You don't seem to hate him."

"What!? OF COURSE I HATE HIM!" Zim said, "He's trying to stop my plan for world domination! He wants me to look like a fool in front of the Tallest!"

Gir just looked down at his bowl before pouring the batter into a heart shaped waffle iron. Zim groaned.

"He's stupid and therefore deserves to be destroyed..." Zim mumbled, "I don't care about his stupid glasses, or how dark his dumb hair is, or the way his teeth does that thing when he smiles... ALL FILTH!"

"Awwww... I thought you liked his hair," Gir said, "You said you liked how it was darker than the void of space~"

"Gir-"

"And you said his eeeyes looked as if the sun was setting in them, and-"

"Gir! how do you know this??" Zim asked.

"I read your journal!"