Chapter 1: Darkness Hides

"Don't even bother coming home tonight!" Iris West exclaimed, storming off with her bag and coat in such a manner that pissed Barry Allen off so much more than it really should have. Maybe it was the fact that he had bought the loft, yet he was the one that was kicked out or maybe it was the status of relationship, he didn't care enough to figure it out.

Once she left Barry breathed in deeply and ran his fingers through his hair, attempting to calm himself down. He finally let the tears out, letting the wet beads of hatred and sadness pour down his face as he let a ragged breath escape. Every breath that passes, he can't help but remember each second as it happened. What led to where he was sitting right now, alone in the Cortex. Everything is so vivid in his mind.

He doesn't notice Caitlin step into the cortex, or the way she tears up from seeing him so broken and defeated. He opens his eyes ever so slowly, blinking as white and dark spots start forming shapes, there's a ringing in his ears, an ache in his body, an itch in his throat. He sighed deeply, running a hand over his face before stopping to pinch the bridge of his nose, releasing an exhausted breath. That's when he notices the woman standing in front of him with tears running down her cheeks and onto her sweater. In the next moment, she is tightly hugging him. "Its okay." She speaks, but it was almost as if she was trying to convince herself of that fact instead of him.

He smiles as he thinks back to one of the several great memories over the last few years. Him and Caitlin cooking and laughing together, simply enjoying their company. How terrible he was at making an apple pie and just how perfect she was at it. That was a good memory, and he would never forget it. Just like that night at the karaoke bar. Great moments forever etched into the canvas that is his mind. He will always remember the same wonderful person who gets him in a way no one else does, who is always there for him, who makes him a better hero, a better person. "I'm okay, Cait." Barry whispers against her hair, tightening the hug and letting the smile on his face grow. "I'm okay."

...

It was strange no doubt. A brand new world full of possibilities and surprises waiting to be discovered. As he turned the corner, papers blowing in the wake of his speed, he came to a stop in the cortex of Star Labs Star Labs. He needed a break, he needed to breathe. On this new Earth, his and Iris' marriage was deteriorating quickly.

And even after revealing the past to her, the way things used to be before this new Earth Prime, it just wasn't the same between them. To be honest, Barry felt this even before Crisis.

He knew he should feel worse, feel like he couldn't live without her but he didn't feel like that. He felt weirdly liberated. He was perplexed by his own feelings and the sounds of grunts broke him out of his trance. He stepped into the speed lab, and saw Frost slashing at a dummy. "Frost? Are you alright?" Barry asked worringly.

Frost stopped, taking a breather before giving a simple nod at the speedster. He saw her progressively get angrier and angrier as she continued her beatdown on the training dummy before she lost her balance and a shard of ice flew directly at Barry, which of course he was quick to dodge.

Frost immediately apologized, but Barry saw something was wrong. The tears started to poke from her eyes as she sat down on the ground. He moved closer to her, sitting across from her on the cool concrete ground. "Frost, I want to let you know you and Cait can always talk to me. Is everything okay?" She avoided his eyes for a moment but as he continued to stare at her with concern, she couldn't put on the cold act anymore.

"No, its not!" She answered awfully loudly, and she hated that she made him flinch. She didn't want the one person that truly understood her besides Caitlin to leave her alone. "I can't stop thinking about every awful thing ive done. Helping Savitar, trying to kill you and leaving the team for so long and helping Amunet!  I'm a terrible person Barry, how can I make up for all that I've done?" She spoke.

Barry simply raised his hand on set if on her jean clad knee, smiling. "Where are you right now?" He asked rhetorically. "Not in a cell." He pointed out matter-of-factly. "Frost you've come so far. If I'm honest a lot of it was my fault. By me creating Flashpoint I gave Caitlin powers, then she was pressured to use her abilities she was so scared of because I was in trouble. Then I was so distant from everyone on the team because of Iris and trying to prevent her death, Frost, I dont blame you or Cait for what you did, it was my fault."

"Barry, you can't he so hard on yourself. If anyone else had the powers you had, they would change something in their past in an instant." She spoke for her and Caitlin. "The only reason I trusted Savitar was because I was scared and he had a face I could trust. I helped him do so many terrible things to you and the team because I trusted his face. I can't ever forget that."

"Frost, you have become one of the greatest heroes I know. You've changed your life, you decided that you decided your fate, no one else. You are a hero, now and forever." Barry smiled, he went to move his hand away, but Frost intertwined her fingers with Barry's. "And a badass one at that." He added cheekily, and they both shared a laugh.

"I'm scared Barry." She admitted, and she hated how small her voice sounded, but if she was going to be weak in front of anyone, it was going to be Barry. "Everything has changed. This new Earth is so different, new villains, old ones with new abilities, how are we gonna fight this?"

"Together." He said. "But you're wrong, one thing hasn't changed." Frost looked towards him with questioning eyes. "I'm still here, and I'll help you every step of the way." Frost smiled, wiping away a tear that had escaped her eye.

"Thank you Barry." She said, and the two moved in for a hug. She sighed into the movement, letting the speedster wrap his arms around her figure.

The day after, they had to put a stop to a burning building, which proved harder than expected. Frost had put out the fire easily, but Barry was having trouble getting the civilians out and that was before attempting to find the one that had started the fire. But before he could even attempt to apprehend the man, the building collapsed on him. Frost hurdled through the debris, searching for his limp body that she eventually found.

The tears never stopped as they traveled back to Star Labs, finally laying him down against the medical bed. "Barry listen to me. You have to wake up!" Frost said, dropping her head. "I can't lose you."