Same Band...New School...New Species?! - 12

Nix rested for the rest of the afternoon. Lyle, Sparrow and I packed our bags. We were planning on going to the hotel near the recording studio and staying there for as long as needed until we could get on a plane. We left the school books and re-packed all our clothes and personal stuff into our duffle bags. The instruments were safe at the store house, so at least we didn't have to worry about that.

It was just before dinner when we were all packed and ready to go. The three of us went back down stairs, Ink and Frost were still standing guard around the room as if one of the... supernatural things were going to break in. Isabelle was joking with Nix on the couch, Jackson was sitting by the window, looking unhappy and a few other people talking on the other couches.

"How are you?" I asked Nix instantly.

"A lot better Crys," he laughed. I tried not to wince. His jaw was black and it was probably a lot worse under his shirt.

"Nix was just telling me about your in New York," Isabelle grinned.

"Oh Lord..." Sparrow groaned. "How specific did he get?"

"Does that red-head still e-mail you every second of the month?" she asked.

"That's pretty specific," I sympathized.

"I had to keep myself entertained or I'd go crazy from everyone asking me if I'm okay," Nix started to shrug, then stopped.

"You can't blame them for being freaked, mate," Ink said. "That's a hell of a bruise."

"It feels like a hell of a bruise," Nix muttered. "So are we going to dinner?"

"I think we should," Frost said. "We don't need to be starving if we're planning on making a run for it."

"Yeah," Sparrow nodded.

"Can you make it?" I asked Nix. "Do you want us to bring you back something?"

"Nope," Nix sat up in one smooth movement, only wincing once. "I'm good. Let's go."

Isabelle helped him up and Lyle caught his other arm when he staggered.

"You are not okay," Isabelle frowned, starting to sit him back down.

"I'm brilliant," he grinned, letting go of the two of them. "Let's go for our last dinner."

"Nix-" I started.

"Crys," he turned to face me. "I am not going to give those things the satisfaction of seeing what they did. I'm going to dinner and no one is going to ask me if I'm alright."

I held his eyes for a long moment before looking at the floor. "Fine."

"Let's go then," he said and we all followed him out.

We walked into the dining hall and it was like a hush descended on the room for a second. Everyone glanced at our group before going back to their conversations and keeping tabs on us out the corner of their eyes. I was so done with this school.

We grabbed our food, then started walking to the neutral table. As we passed the crimson table I looked directly forward, ignoring every stare. I felt something tug at my hoodie pocket and I looked down to see Don turning back to the table.

"Crys?" Ink stopped at my side.

"It's nothing," I kept walking.

We made it to our table with no other interruptions and we sat down. I subtly patted my pocket as we sat and felt that there was a note. I didn't take it out then, knowing Ink he's probably rip it up before I had a chance to read it.