17 | HOLD ME TIGHT

LEN

"Adyen are you listening to me?" I asked for the maybe sixth time. The darker boy blinked, turning to look at me again before shrugging his shoulders and taking his hand away from mine. He went back to looking on at the distance even though the wolf had already left on his motorcycle and was long gone.

"What's happening?" I asked, moving to tuck my hands into my pocket. "What on your mind?" the desperation to know clouded my tone.

Adyen turned to look at me again. His eyes narrowed at me as his lips twitched into a small frown. "Well, you can just read my mind. That's how you found me right? You're not supposed to know where my dorm is," he said, stepping back a bit as he let out air from his mouth. The coolness of the weather made me see it in a cloud of white.

"That—" I started, but paused, nibbling my lower lip. "That's not how the mind linking thing works," I tried to explain, wondering where he had gotten the idea that I could read his mind. I could sense his feelings—and he had exuded so much fear that I couldn't just ignore him even though I had managed to keep my distance for a while.

"Then how does it work?" he asked.

I opened my mouth, then closed it. Wondering why he was suddenly on the edge and trying to get me to defend myself. "I feel what you feel, and you seemed more distressed than usual, so I traced your scent to find you..." I mumbled, going a bit quiet as I said the last few words. Telling him that I could smell him out might freak him out. My wolf steered, and my stomach squeezed up. It was hard trying to figure out what was too outrageous to say to someone who was more or less a human being. I didn't want to scare him. I didn't want him to reject everything and me before making a run for it.

I looked at Adyen through my lashes, trying to gauge his facial expression with the mix of emotions playing through him.

"You understand why this is hard for me, right?" he asked out of the blue.

I blinked, muttering, "yes," before pushing strands of my hair behind my ear as I waited for Adyen to finish his thought process. I wasn't frustrated with him for not understanding. I was more frustrated with myself for having introduced him to my world, and in many ways himself in a messy wibbly-wobbly way that prioritized our mate bond not getting fractured by rejection.