Chapter four - In which you babysit a god

Start from the beginning

"Would you quit doing that!" you snapped at Loki, spinning around to glare at him angrily.

He just looked at you with that same annoyed expression.

You sighed in exasperation, the pain fading now, and started picking up the broken bits of plate to throw away. Five minutes later, after prolonging the process considerably, the kitchen was spotless, and you reluctantly sat yourself down on the sofa opposite Loki, who was staring at the TV again.

Looking closely at him for the first time since he'd arrived, you could see that the dark shadows under his eyes were fading, and his eyes weren't as hooded anymore, but he still looked somewhat... tired.

"Yes?" he finally said, turning to look at you with a raised eyebrow. Thirteen words and counting! Now you had his attention.

"Why do you keep doing that thing? It makes my head hurt... I thought you weren't meant to have your magic. Can you still use it?" you blurted out, instantly regretting your onslaught of questions, not wanting him to find you annoying.

"You ask too many questions." he replied coolly, turning back to the TV.

You just stared at him. Eventually, he sighed.

"I'm trying to read your mind. I can read every Midgardian's mind, but not yours. You're blocking me somehow. I still have my magic, it's not something that can be taken away from someone, apart from under extreme circumstances, I just can't use it. Which answers your last question." he said.

Okay, you hadn't actually expected him to talk to you, let alone answer your questions. So, why couldn't he read your mind? Also, he could read minds?!

"I'm not intentionally trying to block you, I didn't even know that's what you were doing." you told him, trying to get him to focus on you rather than the TV.

"Mm, I guessed as much, which leads me to believe that you have some form of powerful magic." he mused, still not looking at you.

"Yeah, I do. I can't use it yet though, I don't know how." you told him. If he had magic too, surely he would be able to help you. It was just a matter of getting him to help, or at least tell you something.

"But you managed to survive when Thor threw a bus at you, the clumsy oaf..."

"Hey! He's not an oaf." you retorted quickly. Loki raised an eyebrow again, apparently amused.

"And yes, the purple mist... that's what I call it, it protects me when I'm in danger." you explained. And then something occurred to you.

"Do you think... it's blocking you from reading my mind? Does it think you're a threat?" you asked.

"Apparently so. It is incredibly powerful for a Midgardian girl who doesn't know how to use her powers." he said, putting heavy emphasis on the word 'Midgardian'.

"Why did you say it like that? Do you think I might not be entirely..." How to finish that sentence? Human?

"I can't tell for sure until I see the magic. It could be a number of different things."

You wanted to know. You needed to know about the purple mist.

"I need to be in danger for you to see it." you said, standing up and thinking hard. How should you do it?

"What are you doing?"

"Here, throw this knife at me."

That got him looking up from the TV.

"I will not throw a knife at you." he said, watching in astonishment as you offered him the biggest knife from the knife rack.

"The mist will protect me, don't worry."