Chapter VI

The next morning, the duo continued deeper into the foothills. The trek was not particularly arduous, but Tegan remained quiet most of the way. Faelyn was ahead of her as she knew the nearby area very well, and decided their first stop should be in a small lumbering village named Cenne to the North. Tegan didn't care, in fact, her mind was still trying to comprehend recent events.

  "So, tell me more about the past," she asked Faelyn as they stopped briefly near a small creek to rest. "About two hundred years ago." Faelyn was quiet for a moment before responding.

  "In the worlds exists a delicate balance of order and chaos," she began. She waved her fingers and created small magical figures in the air in front of her: one blue, one red. Tegan watched in amazement. "When the Elven kingdom vanished from Eobeth thousands of years ago, the balance was corrupted." Suddenly, the red figure grew larger, and the blue on dimmed. "The Orcs had waged a war on all of the races, and the Elves were not spared from their mighty wrath. After the kingdom fell, the Orcs were content with their victory, and withdrew to their homeland. When they did, balance was restored for a moment." The figures returned to their original sizes at this point. "But chaos is not something that is so easily at peace. The Orcs were not resting, but increasing their war machine. Soon, they had amassed an incredible force, and waged another war three hundred years ago. This you know of." The red figure suddenly burst into flame and attacked the blue. "This caused the chaos in Eobeth to spiral out of control. Balance had been lost, and the Veil between the demon realm, Ebodolon, and our mortal realm was shattered. A warlock whose name has been lost to history summoned the demon lord Damrus into Eobeth, but could not control him." The red figure overtook the blue one, and exploded in a wonderous spray of sparks. "Damrus took the form of a Kovunean, the extinct race of people, but for what reason I do not know. With his immense unholy power disguised as righteous fury, he defeated and subjugated the Orcs, ending a long and bloody war. The Human immediately claimed him a saint and gave him complete control over their kingdoms, which is about seventy-five percent of Eobeth. He created Augurea, the capital, as a stronghold for his crusade, which he uses to sow chaos into the world under the guise of bringing religion and peace to the world."

  "But why? Why would he go through all this trouble for two hundred years?" Tegan asked curiously. 

  "Demon lords serve one greater being: the Chaos God, Ebhor. It is said Ebhor lives in Ebodolon, and awaits the moment the Moon Fall begins to arrive in the mortal realm and conquer it. Damrus is his first in command, and the most cunning demon lord that has ever crossed over, as you can tell." Faelyn sighed.

  "But what is the Moon Fall? What does it have to do with me?" Tegan asked.

  "You are the heir to the Elven throne. And as such, you will be the deciding factor: will the world be rendered unto a hellish fate, or will you bring together Eobeth and defeat Damrus?" Tegan scoffed loudly.

  "Obviously, I would kill the bastard," she said rather proudly. But Faelyn wore a face of uncertainty.

  "I sure hope so, Tegan. Come, we have rested enough," she said sternly. But Tegan wasn't satisfied.

  "What the hell does that mean?" she protested as they started of once more.

 "Nothing. I can no longer see into the void, therefore I can only hope to guide you. And right now, we must seek the last Seer," Faelyn explained. Tegan mumbled grudgingly and followed behind. Faelyn knew there was a different war brewing in the dark recesses, but was not sure to what extent. She figured there was no point in bringing it up just yet, so she remained silent in her travels.

  That night, they made camp near several large trees. The fire crackled joyfully as Tegan roasted a small deer she was able to hunt for dinner. Faelyn meditated quietly as Tegan prepared the meat. A rustle of leaves broke her concentration, however, and she quickly took up her blade.