12

To say Keith was confused would be an understatement. The occurance in Hunk's household was something he couldn't wrap his mind around. The reason for that was the very person who wanted to adopt an enormous number of ten chinchillas - Hunk's mom.

She was just so warm. So nice. It reminded him of those rare nights when his parents were away and he could prepare himself a cup of hot tea, look out of the window and gaze lovingly at the stars.

Of course, Keith wasn't stupid. He knew that the way Krolia and Cole treated him was probably harsher than most but he still expected other parents to hit their children too. Was there any other way to punish them for their mistakes? If they weren't pointed out, children would never learn, right?

Still, he had yet to see Hunk's mother raise her hand in disappointment. So it took a while for Keith to figure it out.

Hunk simply was a better child than he was.

It was so obvious! Hunk was sympathetic and warm and considerate. And there was Keith emotionally underdeveloped, grumpy, quiet, annoying.  He punched himself mentally for not thinking about it sooner. It felt as if Keith was disrespecting Hunk for ever putting themselves on the same level.

However if that was a case than why was he given the same amount of food Hunk was? Although Hunk often took seconds, their first meal was always of the same size. Why was he sleeping in a bed, just like his friend did, had an entire room only to himself and was only sent to the basement when they run out of homemade jam? Suddenly, it clicked.

Of course, Keith! Of course! How could he be so stupid! Hunk's mom was expecting something in return. What a ungrateful child he was, not thinking about it sooner.

He knew what he had to do.

.  .  .

Keith closed the door of the dishwasher, the mashine spurring into life. It took him a while to understand how it worked, considering it was a different model than what Keith was used to, but he made it work. He moved on to the bathroom. Keith took out the dirty clothes and separated them by color. The biggest stack happened to be made out of dark materials, so he put everything else back to the basket, scooped the clothes from the floor and departed to the washing machine.

He was just  trying to set the appropiate program, when a voice behind him asked:

"What are you doing, dear?" Keith's head spinned around, his eyes wide staring at Hunk's mom. She was similar to her son. Rather short and plumpy but in a good way. Like these awesome Mama Italiano, Keith could see in any good Italian restaurant, marvelled by their skilfull hands. Even if Hunk's familly was far from being Italian. Keith remembered the boy telling him he was Samoan.

 She looked at him with those big brown eyes, curious about what he was doing.

Keith knew that the easier his explanation was the better.

"Um, I though maybe I could help you a bit, Mrs. Garrett. I swear I didn't break anything." He said quietely.

"Oh honey, dear. You didn't have to. And what did I tell you about calling me Mrs. Garrett? My name is Teuila." She said, smilling warmly at him. Keith thought for a moment, before speaking:

"Mrs. Teuila?"

Hunk's mother sighed jokingly.

"We will work on it. So, what is it that you have been doing? Need something?" she asked rethorically.

Keith fidgeted a little, growing increasingly uncomfortable.

"Um, I was just about to set the washing mashine and I have been wondering which programme I should chose not to damage the clothes, Mrs. Teuila and I started the dishwasher." He said quietly, trying to show through his words, that he really didn't do anything bad or broke anything.