10

It really wasn't supposed to be like that. Keith really shouldn't have let himself have hope. It wasn't that he wished death upon people but Cole and Krolia were like demons that deserved the pain they inflicted on Keith. (Thanks eriyahkeys !Hope you don't mind). He knew it was so wrong on so many levels. Still.

Them being gone...sounded like a dream, really.

So, what Lance must have mistaken for tears of grief and shock, were in reality tears so hope. He wanted to spill everything right then and there. The tiny spark flicked inside of him for a mere moment.

He reminded himself. 

Krolia and Cole had so much luck that all their unluckiness must have been passed on to Keith. And they were still searching for survivors. 

His parents were always there. In his life, in his sleep, in his thoughts. They would never leave him alone. They would never let him heal. They would never let him rest.

They will always be there. They will always be there, standing above him, always fucking above him, punishing him. Because he deserves to be punished. They will always be there, in the corners of his mind, reminding him how much of a failure he is. 

Keith starts hypervenitilating.

It takes Lance a few seconds to realize what is happening. He was lost at what to do. What should he do? Help Keith? Call Thomas? Yes, that seemed like the best option. But weren't Keith's ribs broken? What if he does something to himself during his fit? Shouldn't Lance try and calm Keith down, than? But what if he can't?!

Lance slaps his palms across his cheeks. Now is no time. 

Lance is obliged to help. That is what first aid lessons taught him. He skipped the 'first, check if you are in danger' part. He was sitting in a chair, dammit. 

"Okay...okay. Um? Keith, buddy? Can you hear me? I am now going to slowly put my hand on your hand." When he did, Keith's eyes widened, panic clear in his violet orbs. But his tunel vision focused on Lance. That was all he could do for the moment. He couldn't talk, he could barely hear, the sound faint and he couldn't stop weezing himself to death. He simply looked at Lance. 

The boy could feel his insides squishing.

"Okay. You are doing okay Keith. Now I am going to count every three. From 0 till 30. And then backwards. I want you to do that with me, okay?"

Keith didn't nod or say anything but Lance started to count anyway.

"Focus on my voice. 0...3...6...9...12...15 " He soon reached thirty and Keith started to calm down a little, staring at Lance the whole time. "You are doing great, Keith." 

Lance was still counting when at some point Keith joined. His voice was rough and husky but he was visibly calming down. 

"I think...I think I am okay."

"You think?" Lance asked incredulously 

"You can never be sure..."

"Riiiiiight....ANYWAY, Keith are you...Um...Are you...okay? I mean your parents just..." Lance reprimanded himself for the stupidity of his question.

"They are still searching for survivors, Lance."

Lance knew it was bad to have hope. He knew that the probability of Keith's parents surviving was so low and he knew it would hurt much worse to have hope in the end. But when he looked at Keith, tear stains on his cheeks, eyes red, nipping at his lower lip, he couldn't force himself to say it