Chapter 38 - Dance

Start from the beginning

"We can go whenever your ready. Just settle in here a bit and we'll go," Paul said. Such a gentleman.

I hadn't been back here in a while. The last house I can remember was this one that I had moved out of I'd been told. It was strange knowing I don't live there all of a sudden when it felt like just yesterday that was the home I never wanted to leave.

Paul looked clueless as to what to do once we were inside, so I decided to help him out a bit and make sure he doesn't feel like such an outsider. "Do you wanna stick with me for a bit while we're here? After all we do have to share a room."

"I told you, the couch is just fine, love," Paul said. That made me feel special, though I knew everyone from around here threw around that pet name.

I shook my head. "Surely a mattress is much more comfortable, even if it's on the floor."

"I just don't wanna make you uncomfortable, that's all. You don't really know me, you don't have to pretend to be okay with all of this," Paul said.

"After that whole thing you did where you went on about your love for me? No way am I letting you take the couch. That really did things to my heart," I admitted, feeling like a stupid school girl trying to flirt with the cutest boy at school.  I was never usually like this, but it seemed so natural.

"I can't decline it, can I?" Paul asked, chuckling as we walked up the stairs.

"Nope," I said, popping the p. When we went into my room, I let him dump his bags on the floor, before sitting on my bed and thinking about my childhood. At first it made me smile and brought me such joy, but then it all turned bitter and found myself resenting the world again.

Paul said softly, "You okay, darling?"

I shrugged. "Just thought about my earlier years in life. Ended up bringing my memories to a bad place. You know about it, right?"

He nodded, his eyebrows furrowing upwards. "I'm sorry about all that. I know my words won't change what happened, but I really wish you could've lived more happily without those things happening. It ain't your fault and you certainly didn't deserve it."

"I tell myself that everyday, but I can't help but wonder what I did wrong that caused all this to happen to me," I conceded.

"I know, we can't help that stuff. Sometimes I wonder what I did wrong that made God take my mother away from me," Paul said, making me look at him only to see his eyes filled with pain.

"Oh god, I'm so sorry about that," I said.

"It's alright. I've learned to accept it, sometimes stuff just happens. I guess it gave me some kind of drive to be better at all that I do. In a way it kind of helped me, but I wish it didn't happen," Paul said. He suddenly giggled at himself. "We should stop talking about this sad stuff. Do you wanna go grab your things now?"

My mind went back and forth on whether or not I should say it, so I just blurted it out, feeling like taking some risks, even though I knew he wanted this. "I wanna go on a date with you."

His eyes widened and were now filled with excitement. I could tell he was ecstatic, and then I realised I shouldn't have even felt nervous or scared to ask him on a date. It seemed a bit fast, but those days where he stayed with me despite me forgetting him really left an impression on me.

"We can go eat out and then grab your stuff. It ain't much, but how does that sound?" Paul asked.

"Perfect. Just want some time to get to know you, I don't mind what we do," I replied. He gave me an odd look, before shaking it off a bit and smiling at me again. "What?"