29// first fight

I've decided to create a SECOND book for this story! This one will have around 36 chapters and I'll most likely start the second in the summer :))

Can't wait for you guys to read it. Thank you for all your support !

—-

Ariana Grande

"Thanks so much for pushing back the meeting, everyone." When Edward passed away, Chase immediately got our pitch postponed, allowing me to grieve before coming back to work. "I have a very important announcement to make. A collaboration with a true genius, and who apparently, some of you already know." I make sure to stare hard at Adam Turner, the shareholder who had questioned my position the most. "Please welcome, Chase Torian."

"We crushed it." Chase pumps his fists in the air. I laugh, giving him a hard high five. After this dark week, it's good to come back to so much hope and energy. "You were amazing. The way you looked at Turner! He looked like was about to shit himself."

"Well, what can I say?" He continues to stare at me.

"What?" I ask, feeling self-conscious.

"Nothing. I just-I can't wait to be partners with you." He takes a step too close. His lips brush my cheek ever so slightly. I blink, feeling my heart thumping in my chest. "Celebratory lunch?"

"Uh, yeah, sure. Partner." This feels wrong. Is it possible that Chase still feels something for me? I'll have to use this lunch to make sure that he knows that our relationship will only ever be friends and that we are strictly professional.

"And what will you have?" The waiter asks me. I order a chicken panini, flipping through the pages to see if I can find anything else. I spot a crepe cake on the dessert page. "And I'll take a crepe cake, to go." Maybe this can cheer my boyfriend up.

Although Harry and I are on better terms now, he has been pretty busy. When I get home from work, he's out. When he's home, I'm asleep. He has ignored my texts and barely responding to my calls, claiming to be busy catching himself up with Edward's security clients.

"So, I need your advice." Chase says, intertwining his hands. "I'm planning on hosting a gala." My eyes widen. "It's too get more exposure for my company, and it'll be a good way to showcase our collaboration." My mind flashes back to how my gala ended, a bullet in my boyfriend's shoulder. "I know you have some experience planning one. Do you think you could be my guide for this project?" I nod.

"Of course." Suddenly, my phone rings. It's Harry calling. "I'll be right back." I pick up the calling, my heart soaring that he is finally contacting me first.

"Hey." He sounds happy. "Sorry I've been ignoring you, it has been crazy."

"Don't worry, I understand."

"So... What are you doing?" I bite my lip.

"Taking a lunch break."

"Mind if I join you?" I look back at Chase, who's back is facing me. How would Harry feel about sitting with Chase and I? It would be so awkward, and I still have to tell Chase that we're only business partners.

"I actually have a lot of work to do, babe. I'm barely able to eat right now at my office with the stacks of paperwork on my desk. But dinner?" He is silent for a moment. "I have a surprise for you." My crepe cake is sitting at the table in a to-go box.

"Uh, I'll actually be pretty busy myself. But I'll try to come over later." I can hear the disappointment in his tone and it makes me ache. "See you."

"Harry." He hangs up on me. I put the phone down, feeling confused.

Why do I feel like we're rocking back and forth on this thin thread? Like, we're always one wrong step from falling apart?