10 - Broadway Express - Station, Underground - David

Had it not been for the crazy man, he would have gotten on the subway train. He tried to remember this as the world around him, underground as it was, went to shit. He tried to remember that he was lucky, even if he didn’t think he was. He doubted whether luck would exist again.

            As he descended the steps to the subway platform, he could hear the crazy man. He was always screaming but this time there was something more primal to it, something terrifying. He almost turned around and went back up to the street level, but he had a train to catch.

            When he got to the platform, however, it was to find it covered in blood. Great splotches of it covered the floor in odd spots, like thick, soupy puddles. “What the fuck?” He whispered these words out loud, though he had no idea he was doing so.

            The second thing he noticed was that there were no bodies. What could produce this much blood and not leave any bodies? The third thing he noticed was that the crazy man was still screaming and that he was covered in blood. It gleamed red like war paint as he stood and came towards him.

            “Hey,” He said. “What a minute.”

            He had seen the whites of the crazy man’s eyes, could hear the sound of his primal screaming and knew that he had to act fast. The crazy man wasn’t just coming towards him, he meant him harm.

            “It’s David.” He said. “You remember me? You remember me? I give you change all the time.” He kept talking even as he began to move towards the screaming man. He picked up speed and, when he was close enough, stuck his hands out and pushed.

            The crazy man, still screaming, fell off the platform and onto the rails. The electricity that ran through them now ran through crazy man, making his body snap, jerk and shake. When David looked down again, what he saw took his breath away:

            There were hundreds of bodies down on the rails. All of them looked dead, their skin scorched through to the bone in some places from the electricity that had snapped through them. This wasn’t the most interesting thing, however.

            What interested David was that, even though these hundreds of bodies (good god, had they been potential passengers?) looked dead, every one of them had begun to move.