drugin' | forty nine.

Start from the beginning

"Shantey... I'm just trying to be here for you—"

"Why?" Shantey voice start raising and getting everyone's attention. "I never asked you to be Monae! You wanna come around for inside information to put in the blogs too like your bitch-ass mother and sister? I'm not wasting my mufucking time on this shit with you and I'm tired of everybody thinking they know what the hell I need in my life to heal me or something. And y'all don't! Maybe blood relatives being around me is something I don't need; including your fucking cousin!"

The burning pain in her chest override everything that Monae uttered in response. For the past week, Shantey noticed the heartburn staying longer than usual when she would take antacids to subside the pain. But now, it was worse than before. Her vision blurred, and she slightly stumbled back.

"Are you okay?" Monae asked, grabbing her arm to keep her from falling.

"I'm fine..." She shoved Monae hand from her arm.

"No you're not. Anissa!" Monae called across the rehearsal studio and waved her over when looking in her direction.

"Anissa isn't my fucking mother, Monae."

"Still stubborn as a bull..." Monae commented, shaking her head as Anissa approached.

"What's going on?"

"You should know. You invited her without telling me. You know, this the second time you done some shit behind my back."

"This isn't about us, Anissa. She's stumbling back like she got lightheaded or something."

Anissa looked at Shantey; worried expression. "You're having heartburn again?"

"Let it go."

"No, we're going to the doctor now. Sino grab the car."

"I'm good–"

"Stop being bullheaded for one fucking moment and worry about your son." Anissa insisted passionately, "You've been having heartburn back to back along with stressing and that can be the problem. Chill and relax. We're going to see your obstetrician."

Rubbing her basketball-sized belly, Shantey surrendered. The heartburn has been killing her right now and the past week. Honestly, she was concerned about her baby and herself. Frequent and long lasting heartburn during a pregnancy is never good. Anissa called her California obstetrician ahead of time to inform them coming and about what was happening with her. A bit after, they were heading to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center to meet up with her doctor...

. . .

"Severe pre-eclampsia..." her obstetrician, Dr. Moore, informed and added, "that's why you're having long lasting heartburn and blurred vision. Your blood pressure is incredibly high, too. Right now, I'm suggesting inducing your labor today."

"Today?" Shantey and Anissa questioned in unison.

"I'm only eight months," she added.

"I'm aware," her obstetrician nodded, "but it's to severe. We've tried keeping your blood pressure in check but it's not working the way it should. The only result right now is inducing."

"I've never done had to induce my labor before. Can I still birth vaginally?"

"We have to check if your cervix is ready for delivery."

"Well, I'm feeling pressure on my pelvis so it better be ready."

Dr. Moore checked her cervix and confirmed she would be able to birth vaginally. Shantey took everything off from her outer clothes to her undergarments and put on the hospital gown. Romeo, her aunt Sunni, and her mother figure Heather were in the room with her since Anissa called and informed them about her labor being induced. Dr. Moore had already done the steps of her induction.