Chapter 3: Transfixed

Começar do início

He shook himself out of his thoughts and walked out of the bathroom, not at all looking forward to the useless day ahead. With a white towel covering his lower body, he walked into his walk-in closet, looking for the plainest clothes he could find. The least amount of attention he attracted the better for him. But it was another day of his normal lifestyle. He might as well enjoy it while it lasts.

He put on the first thing he saw, giving up on the search for plain clothes. Black ripped pants and a plain white t-shirt which hung loosely against his chest, with his leather jacket on top, he reached forward for the last piece. He hung the one thing his mother had left for him around his neck. A necklace, with a piece of blood-red glass, hung between forming a locket.

A reminder of the blood which was lost that day.

He walked to the dining area after changing, into the area of temporary normality. He faced his friends after the last night's hunt.

"It just doesn't make sense. I mean who does that? Don't your teeth hurt?" the excellent shooter, Jack Davis was saying. This might be one of his stupid attempts at making things seem normal, and it actually worked.

"I do." Christina Morris replied. Angel saw Jack put his head into his hands as he looked back at Christina, who sat there, her fingers twirling her short blonde strand of hair,

"But you're biting ice cream-" he started, but Christina stopped him with an uninterested wave of her hand.

"I just do." she said, a yawn leaving her mouth.

Mia raised her hand to say something but Angel tuned their conversation out. His eyes settled on Luke, who just sat there, amusement written all over his face. He looked over at Angel, noticing his stare and smiled, and Angel smirked back, making him realize what he was about to do.

Angel walked, his footsteps as silent as a mouse, as he strode towards Jack. Apparently, luck was on his side for today because Jack got up to take the honey from Mia, leaving his chair all lonely. Angel grinned slightly as Jack shifted back, about to sit down comfortably. But Angel had different plans for him. Without any warnings, he reached forward and pulled back the chair and then Jack was falling back down with a loud thud.

"Shit." he swore, his hand already reaching out to rub his lower back. All of them burst out laughing as a trail of profanities left his filthy tongue.

"It's not freaking funny" he murmured under his breath and got up to smack Angel on his head only to end up losing his balance yet again and landing back down. An even louder laugh left their lips. Some entertainment had been due for a while now, Angel thought as he reached for his chair and pulled it back with a loud screech.

Jack sat on the floor, taking deep breaths only for show, to look pissed. But their laughter was contagious and it soon broke through his tries. His eyes betrayed him as he glanced at his friends who had turned red with some tears leaking out of their eyes. They matched his gaze, Christina biting the inside of her cheek as Mia looked away hastily and Luke staring right back at him, a grin on his face.

And all of them burst out laughing.

Amidst his laughter Jack raised his free hand, pointing it towards Angel's seated figure. Angel looked down at him, frowning in confusion as he looked at Jack's outstretched hand.

"What?" Angel asked, his tone betraying nothing.

Jack looked up at him and made a face. He pointed towards his hand raising his eyebrows. Angel kept a straight face and asked again, "What?"

Jack's expression morphed into a deadpan look and he asked, "You seriously don't know what to do?", pointing at his hand in vain, a spark of annoyance lighting his eyes.