Chapter 17: Deadlocked

"You think you're clever, hmm? I knew you'd run the other way. Make no mistake, I am a very patient man. I will get my hands on you, and when I do you'll be begging for mercy with every dying breath."

"Stay focused." Michael whispered, turning back to the computer screen. Charlie resumed her flashlight duties with a shaking hand. Clunk clunk clunk!

"It's cute that you two found each other." William continued with a chuckle, "You're very much alike. Stubborn, determined... haunted. Haunted by the past. It's quite sad, really- you're digging up ancient history, and for what? Closure?"

Bonnie arrived and the two threw on their costume heads in the nick of time.

"Closure... there's no closure to be gained. You're still a murderer, Michael. You make me look like a saint!"

Michael let out a shuddering breath as he removed the Freddy head.

"Stay focused." Charlie reached for his hand but he pulled away, staring straight ahead into the dark corridor. "Michael!"

"And you, Charlotte. I'm willing to own up to my mistakes- you were one of my first. I'm not sure what stopped me from slitting that pretty little throat all those years ago, but it won't stop me again. This time, I'm choosing you."

Charlie gasped.

"Charlotte." Michael, having regained his composure, put a hand on her knee. She whipped her head around, causing pain. "Charlotte, he's winning right now. We can't let him." She nodded dismissively.

"I'm sincerely hoping that our friends don't do you in before I can get to you. I want nothing more than to see your blood on my hands." William continued, "Charlie, my dear, the last time is going to look like a mercy killing compared to what I have planned now. As for you, Michael... well, I haven't decided on your demise. Not yet. I can assure you, however, that the pain you'll feel will be beyond comprehension."

This time, Michael didn't pull away when Charlie reached for his hand.

"Have a good night- it's one of your last." Click. The office fell silent except for the low hum of the computer and the whir of the desk fan. The onslaught of animatronics had temporarily ceased- it was as though they, too, were comprehending William's words.

"...Check the vents." Michael said finally, clicking through the cameras again. Charlie had to shake her head slightly in order to get her mind moving again. This time I'm choosing you. Last time is going to look a mercy killing. Those were the words that stuck with her, hanging over her head like a giant weight held up by a single string. "Charlotte, the vents." Michael said urgently.

"There's n-nothing." She stammered. It felt like all the oxygen was draining from the room.

"Charlotte, he's gotten into your head. You have to fight it."

"I know. I know." She gasped. Toy Freddy was now lingering in the doorway, staring the duo down with wide blue eyes. 2:10 am. Charlie choked down more coffee and stared right back.

"Don't make eye contact!" Michael hissed. She was going to cry. She was so sweaty, so nauseous, so uncomfortable. But getting up and leaving was out of the question. Besides, he needed her. They needed each other. Pushing William's phone call to the back of her mind, she focused on watching the vents and the hallway.

3 am. She felt dizzy and had to remove her sweatshirt. Mangle was watching them from the office doorway, her eyes glowing white. Foxy looked ready to charge, his hook in the air. Clunk clunk clunk!