Chapter 2: Led Astray

Charlie had expended the bulk of her customer service energy halfway through the night. She snagged a slice of supreme pizza from the kitchen and sauntered to her father's office, which was situated in a corridor inaccessible to guests. It was just after the employee break room, where one of the dayside security guards was lazily scrolling through his phone. Henry was furiously typing away on his old Workstation PC when Charlie arrived in the office. She plopped herself down on an old desk chair and watched him. He was coding- something she hadn't seen him do for a long time.

This piqued her curiosity and she scooted her wheeled chair over.

"Is that something for Mr. Hippo?"

No response. She took a bite of pizza and leaned forward.

"Charlotte, please. I need you out on the floor." There was a new hostility in his voice that took her aback. Her father only acted like this when something was wrong. What are you hiding from me now? Charlie couldn't help the flash of anger that surged through her. It was bad enough that he'd lied about the diner- it was anything but destroyed. She, her boyfriend John, and their friend Marla had found it completely intact- condemned, but intact, complete with a security system. It wasn't like she didn't know why it had closed down (there had been a murder) but clearly he didn't want her snooping around. It wasn't like she didn't remember his bout of depression upon reopening Freddy's and being less than successful, or the fact that, when she was away at school, he could only manage to pawn the franchise off on some poor business graduate desperate to have a franchise under his name.

That had to have been the mysterious man at the door. Slightly older, slightly wiser, desperate. Charlie stalked off as Henry opened his mouth to speak. She sauntered to the dining room for a soda, only to see John frantically fumbling with the controls of the Fruity Maze Game, their friends leaning against the case.

"You want to go the bottom first," Lamarr was saying, "Then you get the floaty ghost thing and-"

"You missed the lightning bolt!" Jessica griped, "You're screwed."

"I refuse service. Get out." Charlie grinned as she walked over to the group. All three young adults looked up in unison.

"There you are. Thought you were stuck doing dishes again." John kissed her forehead, his game forgotten. She put her plate on top of the case and embraced him, savoring the smell of his cologne.

"Watch it, you two. This is a family place." Lamarr smirked.

"Where's Marla?" She responded in a sing-song voice.

"She said she was too tired." He shrugged.

"Why are you guys here?"

"Okay," Jessica's blue eyes widened with excitement, matching her hand gestures. "Clock out, we're going bowling."

"I can't. Dad needs me on the floor for-"

"He's had you for the past three weekends. Come on." John smiled sheepishly.

"But I have to-"

"Vacuum." Henry interrupted with a raised eyebrow. She winced.

"I know, dad. I was just about to say that."

"Please? John leaves in a few days-" Jessica began. John stomped on her foot.

"A few days?" Charlie's eyes instantly stung and her boyfriend gave her a sad smile.

"I decided to do that writing workshop. The one you said I should do?"

Henry huffed. "She can join you in an hour. How's that?" Charlie nodded and hugged John again, successfully holding back her tears.

"Okay. We'll be at the one in Medfield. Know where that is?" Lamarr inquired. She nodded. "Aight. Have fun vacuuming." He and Jessica trotted to the front door and Henry retreated to the kitchen, leaving Charlie and John alone.

"You're not mad, are you?"

Her head shook no on its own. She'd been the one encouraging him to do it.

"No. Just surprised. That's all."

"Is there anything I can do to make it up to you?" He entwined their fingers.

"How about letting me and Jessica win tonight?"

"Not even for you." He sneered, his brown eyes playful. She pretended to pout and pushed him.

"Charlotte." Henry crooked a finger at her from behind the prize counter.

"I get off at 10, but I'll try for 9:15. Deal?"

John nodded.

"See ya. Don't get trampled by the kids, now."

With that, Charlie waded through the madness on the floor, tears pricking at the corners of her eyes. She yanked the garbage out of the prize corner trash can before her father even opened his mouth, pushing past him. She stumbled through the kitchen and into the back alley, where her tears mixed with the unseasonably cold rain. The top of the dumpster slipped between her fingers repeatedly, making a melodic clanging sound each time it came into contact with the bin. John's departure hurt, but the way Henry had been acting lately hurt more. He was callous and distant. She hadn't seen him like this since she was a child and he'd divorced her mother.

The trash bag slipped through Charlie's fingers and fell to the ground, dispersing its contents. She stood frustrated and sopping wet, ineffectively wiping her tears with her forearm. "Charlie?"

When their eyes met, Henry's face softened instantly.

"...You can go. Get changed and see everyone."

"But..." She kicked at a plastic prize bag.

"Go."

She flashed a half-smile and raced back inside to get the keys to her Blue Honda without so much as a thanks.

It was 9:45 by the time Charlie stepped out of the house wearing her favorite green jacket and jeans. She'd even put on a bit of mascara and some concealer to mask her raw cheeks, which were still stinging from her crying fit earlier. At least her sniffling had ceased. They'd never know.

"Hey, just wanted to let you know I'm on my way. Bye." She said into the cellphone balanced on her shoulder, also juggling her umbrella and keys.

"Excuse me?"

The 19-year-old turned around to see another young woman at the end of the driveway. She wore a long pink raincoat, matching boots, and had what appeared to be a large purse hanging off of her right shoulder. Her blonde hair was nothing short of soaked and was stuck to her thin face.

"Can you help me? My car broke down at the end of your street and your house is the only one with lights on."

"Umm..." Of course there was another hitch in the day.

"Can I use your phone?"

"Sure." Charlie sighed, handing the red flip phone over. The woman dialed a number and retreated down the driveway. "Umm-"

Her mouth twisted in agitation as the blonde gestured for her to follow. What now?