Nicknames

I only started noticing it when Ned pointed it out to me after school.

"Have you ever noticed how Mr Stark never calls you Peter?" He had asked.

I had, in fact, not been aware of this. It wasn't really something I had payed attention to. But now that Ned had mentioned it, I did start to notice.

It was a Sunday. I had finished my work in the lab with Mr Stark, and he was sending me home for the night. We stood in front of the compound's entrance, and he gave his parting words.

"I'll see you next Saturday, Parker. Don't forget to bring back that folder I gave you." It was not a strange thing to say. It wouldn't have stood out at all if I hadn't known. He called me Parker, not Peter.

It was a Thursday. Spider-Man was out on patrol. I had finished taking down an armed thief, and was sitting on the edge of a building. That's when I heard it.

The whirring of Iron Man's engines sounded from above. He had probably come to check on me.

"You alright down there, Underoos?" He shouted down to me. He wanted to know if I had gotten hurt by the thief. But I didn't answer. He called me Underoos, not Peter.

It was a Wednesday. Mr Stark and I had just finished our patrol for the night. Before I could go home, he pat me on the back and said:

"Good work, Spider-Man. Stay safe on the way home."

With that, He gave me a wave and flew off. The dark and noisy night left me alone with my thoughts. He called me Spider-Man, not Peter.

It was a Saturday. I had just stepped into the lab, when Mr Stark pulled me aside.

"Hey kid, I just finished making some upgrades on your suit. Wanna see?"

He wrapped his arm around my neck and led me to another room. As we walked, he tried to explain what he had fixed and added. He called me kid, not Peter.

It was a Monday. Someone attacked the school. I tried to fight back, but ended up getting knocked into one of the desks, hitting my head on the corner of a table. My vision darkened.

The sudden sound of a blast made me bolt awake. One of the attackers was flung across the room. Since when did my classmates leave?

Time passed, it was hard to tell how much. All I knew was the feeling of metal cradling my head.

"You're gonna be okay. I'm here, son. Everything will be alright. I'm gonna get you out of here."

Mr Stark's panicked yet reassuring voice shot through the darkness. I knew I was going to be okay. But one this lingered in my mind. He called me son?