Chapter One

It had happened in a blur, a nightmare that blended into reality. At first I couldn't believe it because there was no way it would happen to me. It was a story that you heard in books, in movies. But there was no way that something like that would ever, not in a million years, happen to me.

Until one day, it did.

****

"Mom, did you get the popcorn?" I asked, rummaging through the cupboard. "I'm going to start popping them for the party."

"Yeah, look in the grocery bags! They're in the dining room," She yelled from the stairs.

I went over and found four bags of microwavable popcorn. "Found them! Thanks!"

"You're welcome," she smiled, coming around the corner in her scrubs. She stopped in front of the mirror to check her short ponytail, tucking a brown flyaway behind her ear.

I ripped open one of the packages and stuck the bag in the microwave, watching as my mom bustled around the kitchen.

"Okay, so everything is here. I bought candy and fun snacks, but don't forget to cut up the fruit and veggies. I'm going to tell your dad too, so you won't be getting away with just junk food. Speaking of which," she frowned, looking at her watch, "he should be here any min-"

Her words were cut off by the front door squeaking and she smiled, "Speak of the devil."

The popping stopped in the microwave and I opened the door, taking out the bag to unload it in a plastic bowl. I grabbed a couple to munch on. "Mm, buttery."

"Don't eat them all before everyone gets here, you thief," Mom scolded, frowning.

"Who's a thief?" Dad asked, coming around the corner in his police uniform. He dropped his keys on the table

"Your daughter is going to eat everything before this pool party even starts." Mom raised an eye at me as she went to the fridge and took out the veggies.

"Blair, seriously?" Dad gave me a stern look and pretended to sound disappointed, but I could see his joking smirk as he came up to hug Mom from behind.

She jumped and sighed, laughing a little as she relaxed into him. "Really, John?"

"I can't help myself," he whispered before he kissed her.

"Ew!" I yelled. "Seriously guys? I'm your daughter. That's disgusting" I turned away and dumped different flavors of candy into different jars. They both just laughed as they pulled away, but I caught my mom blushing as my dad winked at her.

"Okay, I have to go," Mom laughed. "You two are very distracting." She came over to hug me and kiss my forehead. "Have fun at your pool party tonight, Blair, and congratulations on finishing eighth grade!"

"Thanks Mom." I grinned. "What time do you think you'll be back?"

"Not until after you're in bed." She went over to kiss Dad goodbye and grabbed her purse, rummaging through it. "Alright I will see you two later, have fun tonight."

"Bye Mom! I love you!" I shouted.

"Love you too!" She shouted back as she walked through the foyer and out the door.

    "Alright," Dad clapped his hands together. "I am going to go and change out of this stiff uniform, and then I will be back to help with the food."

    "Sounds like a plan," I agreed, going back to pouring popcorn, pretzels, and chips in the bowls. Dad joined me a few minutes later in his jeans and t shirt to chop up cucumbers and peppers for the veggie plate Mom wanted.

    "How was work today?" I asked, finding solo cups in the pantry.

    "Not too bad. It was more of a quiet, paperwork kind of day," he shrugged. "But I can't complain. How was yours? Does it feel weird to say you're a high schooler now?"

    I paused. "I haven't really thought of it like that yet. I guess it is, but it still kind of feels the same, like I'll be waking up at 6 to catch the bus for the middle school again tomorrow."

    "Nope, never again." He laughed. "What time are people getting here again?"

    I rolled my eyes. "Wow Dad, Mom and I have only told you like a thousand times."

    "Well now it's a thousand and one." He smiled. "So, the time?"

    "They're coming in about thirty minutes and the pizza will be here in about forty five minutes."

    "Perfect. You keep finishing with whatever food and drinks you want out, and I'm going to go and set up the pool area."

    "Okay thank you!" There wasn't much left to do, just find the napkins and gather the silverware. I was done in five minutes and went upstairs to change into a bathing suit. Out the window, Dad was setting up tiki torches and restacking the towel bin.

    He was a very go-with-the-flow kind of guy, relying on Mom and I to tell him what we were doing on the weekends and what we were eating for dinner that night. He spent his time at the police station during the day where he spent more time patrolling neighborhoods than taking down kidnappers or killers, and he spent his evenings at home with Mom and I, valuing family time and keeping up with outdoor chores. I couldn't imagine him any other way.

    I shuffled through my drawers and found my favorite bathing suit, a bikini that Mom and I found while exploring the little sand filled shops along the beach. It was a conservative swimsuit, but a gorgeous deep blue that matched the ocean. Mom said she loved it because of how pretty the color was against my pale skin, but I knew it also had to do with how conservative it was. She always talks about how I'm her little girl, and how she doesn't want me to grow up, instead choosing to reminisce about the days when I was small enough to lie in her arms as she rocked on the porch swing, just the two of us. Now I go to school with a dream of traveling the world and she went back to nursing, mostly during the days with the occasional night shift. That was where she was tonight, despite her efforts to get off work, they were slammed at the hospital and needed the extra hands. But that was her nature, giving and kind, so she apologized to me earlier, but went in to work with a smile.

    I changed into the bathing suit and put a cover up over top, grabbing a towel and my goggles from the closet.

    "Blair?" Dad's voice carried over from the kitchen.

    "Yeah?" I walked in and tossed my stuff onto the chair.

    "Help me take all of the food and drinks outside." He stacked the bowls on top of one another, separating them from crushing the one below with his hands.

    "Sure, no problem." Within a few minutes, we had a drink and snacks table set up, leaving room for the pizza boxes.

    "I think that's it." I looked around the kitchen and cupboards, making sure I didn't miss anything. Dad nodded and took the minute to grab a drink.

    Then the doorbell rang.

    "I got it!" I did a skip to the front door, excited for the night to begin.

****

Hey! I'm back! Thank you so much for reading! I'm really excited about this new idea and where it takes me! If you enjoyed it, vote and let me know what you think!

Also some food for thought: what are some of your favorite party snacks?

Payton