chapter 09

a/n: just took the pre test for ielts. lets hope that the results are good. more goofy content this time. enjoy!

<><><>

"Hey, Pres, you forgot your bag in class just now."

Ginny literally stopped dead on her tracks as she heard that familiar voice calling her name. Turning her body, she saw Daniel was leaning against the wall. On his grasp, he held her backpack book bag.

"What are you doing here, Daniel?" Ginny asked, could not help but to let the surprise leaked into her voice. She had expected her pseudo meeting with Principal Carson would end quickly. But it seemed that classes ended a while ago. Maybe the stare down between her and the Principal was that time consuming. "Aren't you supposed to be at your mansion home right now?"

It was a general knowledge that Daniel's family was filthy rich and one of the wealthiest families in the whole country. But it seemed that instead of living a high jet-set and rich kids life (Ginny knew he could fulfill the aesthetic if he truly wanted to), Daniel chose to live in a small suburban town like Clover Springs. Only Ginny who was daring enough to joke about it at his face. "Yeah, but there is no way I'm leaving your bag in class. What are you doing in the Principal's office anyway? Hopefully nothing that scandalous."

He had the audacity to wink at her and she surged forward, stomping her foot on top of his. To his credit, Daniel only winced.

"You can kill a man if you wear high heels, Ginny."

"Luckily, I love wearing high heels, too bad that I don't wear it today." She grabbed her bag from his grasp and slung it over her shoulder. Stepping back, her eyes scanned Daniel's whole figure. She was tall with her 175 centimeter height, but so was Daniel, probably ten centimeters taller than her.

Daniel cast his eyes down to Ginny's legs. She was wearing her black chucks and a socks that stretched until below the knee. "Honestly, Pres, you are too preppy for this small town."

"The same can be said about you," Ginny retorted with a scoff, trying as hard as she could not to show her mouth twitched. But of course, Daniel seemed to have a knack of cracking everyone to reveal their true nature. That was the kind of effect he had on everyone. "Anyway, you should go home. I would head to the Student Council room to get some files so I can bring it back home."

"For a high school student, you seriously don't have a life outside your academic and school activities."

"For an ex prankster and bully hunter, you seem to trade the wild life for honor roll, trying to kick me off the top spot," Ginny mindlessly replied and it was too late before she realized she had crossed the line she had cemented. "Uh...sorry. I don't mean to suddenly bring that up."

Yep, it was crucial to maintain the lines between them. Their dynamic, the way they exchanged sarcastic remarks with each other, had been a constant to her high school life as much as she hated to admit it. Losing it would only cost her another constant in her life. She did not classify Daniel as the kind of close friend like Axel had been, but she knew without a doubt that it would feel weird if they did not bicker with each other every day.

But Daniel's face stayed the same. No anger or annoyance flickered on his face, if anyone dared to bring up his days as the terror to bullies back in middle school until freshman year. Only during Sophomore year did he start to collect his shit together (yes, collect) and be a threat to Ginny's status as the shoo-in for valedictorian. Somehow, a knowing smile carved on his face, lightening up his eyes that usually twinkled with mischief with something Ginny could not recognize.