Though, as she climbed a flight of steps, guided by the elf, she could allow herself to admit that she was in no state to speak with anyone. Even recounting the reason for her journey had left her near tears, the relief at her long voyage being over leaving her fragile. Her eyes tried to take in their path as she followed Lindir, but she could barely focus on laying one foot in front of the other. A beautifully carved wooden door was opened before her, and she was led into an airy bedchamber by her companion. As her eyes settled on the large, soft looking bed against the far wall, she took an involuntary step forward, only just realising that Lindir had spoken.

"I'm sorry, I didn't hear..." She breathed, turning to look at him apologetically as he smiled in understanding.

"I was merely advising you to rest, Lady Théadain. You are weary from your journey."

"I am, thank you, Lindir." She whispered, bowing her head to him as he did the same, stepping back and softly closing the door to leave her alone.

The next morning, she wouldn't be able to recall removing her boots and cloak, stripping herself of the protective leathers she had worn on her journey and casting them carelessly to the floor as she staggered towards the tempting bed. Left in only her shirt and breeches, she collapsed into the forgiving white sheets, and the moment her head sank into the feather pillow, she knew no more.

*

The dawn came, but for the first time in over a month, Théadain did not see it.

Indeed, it was late morning before she stirred from her deep, exhausted sleep, sighing softly as she slowly opened her eyes to take in her surroundings. The room was bright, filled from floor to ceiling with golden sunlight – it was amazing that it hadn't woken her. With a quiet hum she pushed her stiff body into a sitting position, thoughtfully wiping at the corner of her mouth with her sleeve to get rid of the wet trail that indicated just how deeply she had been sleeping.

Someone had been in the room, the clothing she had discarded on the floor was gone – presumably taken to be cleaned – whilst the contents of her saddlebags had been laid out neatly on a carved wooden desk near the door. Rising from the bed with a grunt of effort, she stretched, her bare feet padding across the cool stone floor to explore the open balcony that lay opposite her bed. A low chaise furnished the outdoor space beyond the fluttering gossamer curtains, and she sank down onto it, letting her fingers stroke mindlessly over the mink velvet as she gazed out at the view before her. She could see the whole way down the valley, until the horizon disappeared behind the trees that shielded them. Below her the could pick out the delicate arches, curves and points of rooftops, and down the sides of the valley cascaded the most breathtakingly beautiful waterfalls. She momentarily lost herself as she followed the plummeting water from the high rock walls to where it flowed beneath a series of bridges, briefly calming and remembering what it was to be a river, before it tumbled on out of sight.

However long she sat for taking in the peaceful wonder of Rivendell, she did not know, but she stirred at the sound of her door being opened carefully. She smiled a little shyly at the female elf that carried in a tray, laying it on the desk before bowing her head and retreating. With a sigh, Théadain took the interruption as her sign – she should prepare for her meeting with Lord Elrond.

After she hungrily finished the breakfast she had been brought, hot water was carried to her room so she could bathe. Behind a screen in a corner of the room, a deep wooden bath was filled and scattered with sweet-smelling herbs. Théadain spent longer than she cared to admit submerged in the blissful heat contained in the polished bath, which seemed to have been carved from a single piece of wood. She could have sworn it held the warmth better than her copper one back in Edoras. She took care to comb out her tangled hair, grimacing as she picked out a few errant twigs and leaves and casting them aside. With her pale body rid of all dust and grime from the road, she checked over her healing bruises with a satisfied hum, before reluctantly rising from the cooling water and going to dry herself.

Dressed in a clean pair of dark breeches, a soft green shirt and her burgundy velvet jerkin – the only clothing she had packed that she deemed suitable for an audience with an equivalent to a king – Théa cautiously left her room, feeling desperately out of place as she walked through the elegant halls. She remembered feeling this way before, and it had taken most of her stay to learn the routes through the winding walkways. She remembered a little now, finding her way down to one of the low courtyards and drawing in a deep breath of the fresh, clean morning air.

"I hoped you would remember your way, Théadain." She turned slightly at the soft voice at her side, smiling with relief at the sight of Lord Elrond. She had been afraid he would arrive in an intimidating display of grandeur, flanked by his companions, but she remembered now the gentle, patient nature that had appealed to her before.

"My Lord Elrond." She breathed, bowing with one hand over her heart as a mark of respect, "Forgive me, I didn't know where I should look for you..." She straightened as he touched his hand to her cheek, a feeling of calm washing over her as she took in his kind gaze, framed by his long dark hair and simple circlet that adorned his brow.

"The place where we walked with your father seems appropriate." He reassured her, lowering his hand to rest against his silver velvet robes; "When I heard you had arrived, I knew I would find you here."

She nodded, swallowing thickly as she looked around the leafy courtyard, not having realised at first that this was indeed where she and her father had spent much of their time on their last visit, "I... I don't think I can speak of why I have come here, not in this place." She whispered, "The memories of my father here..."

"They should not be tainted by your reasons for journeying so far." He nodded in understanding, offering his arm to her in a way that struck her as incredibly approachable. In her mind he had been this untouchable, almost scared being, but now she remembered the paternal kindness that she had forgotten as she grew. "Come, I have somewhere we can speak."

[A/N: Thank you for reading! Please vote and comment!]