She could have cried with joy when she saw the path sloping upwards through the trees ahead of her, the road leading up through the gorge almost glowing in the light of the lowering sun. "You wonderful creature." She breathed to her horse as his hoofbeats rang out on the stone track, letting him carefully pick his way up the side of the valley. His surefooted gait led them quickly upwards, and as they turned a corner Théadain released a shuddering breath, her eyes landing on the beautiful collection of rooftops and bridges over waterfalls that blazed golden in the evening sun.

*

It was with a graceless clatter of hooves she arrived through the stone archway, drawing up Folca with a soft command and casting her eyes around the buildings and walkways, searching for someone, anyone who could help her. She dismounted and smoothed her hand over his mane, trying to fight down the sickening anxiety that swept over her. Now that she was here, would she know what to say? Would she be able to find what she sought? Or would it all be a waste?

"Suilaid – ah, welcome, my lady." A soft voice interrupted her thoughts and she turned to face the three, tall male elves that had approached her. Just as she had been before, she was struck by their sheer beauty, in every sense. Their hair, their eyes, their skin, even their softly pointed ears all radiated a polished, classic grace. All three were clothed in flowing, velvet robes in varying hues of blue, the long fabric concealing their legs so that they almost seemed to float over the ground.

"I..." She breathed, swallowing to compose herself. She was a daughter of kings, it would not do to arrive stammering and breathless. It was bad enough that she was certain she looked desperately unwashed and exhausted; "I am Théadain, daughter of Théoden, King of Rohan." She introduced, in a confident tone that surprised even her, bowing as elegantly as she could manage, "I have come to seek counsel with Lord Elrond."

"My lady Théadain-" One of the elves stepped forward, his handsome features warm and familiar, and his large eyes gleaming with recognition, "You have grown since we welcomed you last."

"I... Forgive me, I don't..." She started to apologise, but then looked closer, "I...Lindir?"

"Your memory does not fail you." He nodded with a composed smile, bowing a little, "What brings you to return to our valley after all this time, and alone?"

She swallowed thickly as she looked upon the elf that had assisted her father during their previous stay, knowing she could trust him, "My father is ill, Lindir, his strength is failing before his time, but it is no illness that we have ever seen before. I fear... I fear he is under the control of some dark magic, and if he is, all of Rohan is under threat."

It felt so real when she said it aloud. After over a month of only speaking to her horse or the odd passing traveller, voicing her fears to another being was nearly overwhelming – although her sheer exhaustion likely contributed to that feeling. She watched as the dark-haired elf processed her words, turning to murmur something in his own tongue to his companions. The shorter of the three stepped forward to take Folca's reins, the other gliding away across the stone courtyard as Lindir laid a hand on her arm. She only realised at the touch that she was trembling.

"Come, my lady." He soothed, taking her arm gently and beginning to walk her towards the buildings, "We have a stable for your horse and a room for you. My Lord Elrond is engaged at this time, but perhaps in the morning, he will be able to speak with you."

"I... thank you, my friend." She breathed, following him a little unsteadily, even as a feeling of disappointment washed over her. Of course, she had not expected to be granted an audience with Lord Elrond the very moment she had arrived, but to come so far and have to wait until morning?