Chapter 17

The Doctor fiddled with the communicator and soon, Amy's voice came through. "Hello? Hello?"

"Amy? Amy? Is that you?" the Doctor asked her.

"Doctor?"

"Where are you? Are the Clerics with you?"

"They've gone. There was a light and they walked into the light. Doctor, they didn't even remember each other".

"No, they wouldn't".

"What is that light?" River asked.

"Time running out. Amy, I'm sorry, I made a mistake. I should never have left you there", the Doctor said.

"Well, what do I do now?" Amy asked.

"You come to us. The Primary Flight Deck, the other end of the forest".

"I can't see. I can't open my eyes".

"Turn on the spot".

"Sorry, what?"

"Just do it. Turn on the spot". He held his sonic screwdriver up to the communicator. "When the communicator sounds like my screwdriver that means you're facing the right way. Follow the sound. You have to start moving now. There's Time Energy spilling out of that crack, and you have to stay ahead of it".

"But the Angels, they're everywhere".

"I'm sorry, I really am, but the Angels can only kill you".

"What does the Time Energy do?"

"Just keep moving!"

"Tell me".

"If the Time Energy catches up with you, you'll never have been born. It will erase every moment of your existence. You will never have lived at all. Now, keep your eyes shut and keep moving".

"It's never going to work", River told him.

"What else have you got! River! Tell me!"

Elise hid behind River's legs and the Doctor sighed.

He hadn't meant to scare her. He knew he shouldn't lash out when he got angry, but sometimes he couldn't help himself. He had to be better about that in the future.

"What's that?" River asked, hearing a clanging noise coming from above them in the ship.

"The Angels running from the fire", the Doctor told her, "They came here to feed on the Time Energy, now it's going to feed on them. Amy, listen to me". He soniced the communicator. "I'm sending a bit of software to your communicator. It's a proximity detector. It'll beep if there's something in your way. You just maneuver till the beeping stops. Because, Amy, this is important. The forest is full of Angels. You're going to have to walk like you can see".

"Well, what do you mean?"

"Look, just keep moving".

"That Time Energy, what's it going to do?" River asked.

The Doctor rubbed his eyes. "Keep eating".

"How do we stop it?"

"Feed it".

"Feed it what?"

"A big, complicated space time event should shut it up for a while".

"Like what, for instance?"

"Like me, for instance!"

Elise started to cry, clutching onto River's legs. She wanted to go back to the TARDIS. This wasn't fun anymore.