Chapter 8

The Doctor and Elise landed on something squishy and nasty smelling. Amy landed next to them as the Doctor pulled out his sonic screwdriver.

Elise did the same and pressed the button. It made a buzzing noise just like the Doctor's only the tip of his was green and hers was yellow.

The Doctor smiled seeing the tiny Timelord copy him. "High speed air cannon. Lousy way to travel", he told Amy.

"Where are we?"

"Six hundred feet down, twenty miles laterally, puts us at the heart of the ship. I'd say Lancashire. What's this then, a cave? Can't be a cave. Looks like a cave".

Amy flung some of the stuff at the Doctor. "It's a rubbish dump, and it's minging!"

"Yes, but only food refuse. Organic, coming through feeder tubes from all over the ship".

"The floor's all squidgy, like a water bed".

Elise noticed it too and bounced lightly.

"But feeding what, though?" the Doctor asked.

"It's sort of rubbery, feel it. Wet and slimy", Amy told him.

There was a growl or a groan and the Doctor and Elise realized where they were.

Elise tugged on the Doctor's jacket and pointed at her tongue.

"Right you are, Elise. Amy, it's not a floor, it's a... So..." the Doctor said.

"It's a what?" Amy asked.

"The next word is kind of a scary word. You probably want to take a moment, get yourself in a calm place. Go omm".

"Omm..."

"It's a tongue".

"A tongue?"

"A tongue. A great big tongue".

"This is a mouth. This whole place is a mouth? We're in a mouth?"

"Yes, yes, yes. But on the plus side, roomy".

"How do we get out?"

The Doctor started scanning with his screwdriver. "How big is this beastie? It's gorgeous. Blimey, if this is just the mouth, I'd love to see the stomach".

The creature grumbled.

"Though not right now", the Doctor added.

"Doctor, how do we get out?" Amy asked him.

"Okay, it's being fed through surgically implanted feeder tubes, so the normal entrance is...closed for business".

Behind them was a wall of large teeth.

"We could try, though", Amy said.

"No, stop, don't move", he told her as the floor started vibrating, "Too late. It's started".

"What has?"

"Swallow reflex". The Doctor pointed his sonic screwdriver at the mouth.

"What are you doing?" Amy asked him.

"I'm vibrating the chemo-receptors".

"Chemo-what?"

"The eject button".

"How does a mouth have an eject button?"

"Think about it!"

Elise's eyes went wide as she noticed a wave of vomit coming towards them.