Chapter 8 - It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas

Start from the beginning

"No," I state bluntly. "You were a mistake." I grab a glass of water and barricade myself into my room for the rest of the day.

By Sunday morning I have to leave my room, my stomach growling in hunger. Nate and Landon are both already eating breakfast, both glued to their phones.

I fix myself a turkey sandwich and a glass of orange juice and sit next to my brother. He raises his eyes from his phone to looks me over. I know I probably have dark circles under my eyes from two badly-slept nights and my hair is a tangled mess.

"You okay?" He's obviously heard of my sucky love life. Or rather, the lack of it.

"I would be if everyone just would stop asking me that," I answer tightly. He looks taken aback.

I sigh, reminding myself my life being a hot mess is not his fault. "Sorry," I mumble, and he nods. "Just tired of everyone asking me that." I raise my eyes and catch Landon's before he looks down at his phone again, ignoring me.

"You two fighting again?" Nate asks, noticing the tension between us.

"Nope" we both answer in unison.

"Right..." Nate says slowly, looking from his best friend to me. "I'm supposed to be going to Sophie's but if the two of you are going to blow up the house while I'm gone..."

"We're fine," I give him a tight-lipped smile.

"Just dandy" Landon quips.

"Uh-huh," my brother stands up with a disbelieving look on his face.

"I'm going to stay up in my room, anyway," I stand up and take my breakfast to go. "See you later." I stomp up to my room, frustration building up in my stomach. Why did we have to mess everything up even more? Didn't we hate each other enough before making things awkward as hell? I groan as I face plant my bed.

It's eight in the evening when I hear the front door opening and closing downstairs and footsteps coming to the stairs. Two sets of footprints. I sneak up to my door and open it ajar, peeking out. The hall is dimly lit but I recognize Landon's figure. He's pulling a giggling girl up the stairs, saying something that makes her laugh even more. What an annoying sound.

They stop at the landing and the girl puts her hand on his chest, looking up at him. I scowl as he leans down to kiss the dumb brunette. I feel like I've been stabbed in the stomach and turn away, closing my door quietly. Why am I feeling like this? I don't like him. I'm not jealous over the stupid girl he's managed to ensnare this time. He's an asshole. Always has been and always will be. So why am I feeling like this?

Monday morning I wake up early and go for a run. Landon's door is closed and I can hear snores through it. The girl probably stayed over. Figures. I push myself hard, welcoming the feeling in my muscles as I run faster and faster.

I'm breathing heavily by the time I make it to the porch. It takes me a while to get my breathing right and only then do I go inside. I take a quick shower and dress for the day; it's the 20th and since I've been occupied with other stuff, I haven't got any Christmas presents yet. Talk about leaving everything to the last minute. Since the ball is tomorrow night, today is my only chance to go to the mall. I ring up Stella and Riley and pick them up on my way. Miranda is busy babysitting her nine-year-old sisters Mia and Meghan with Brett. Those two girls are a handful.