Chapter 5 - Breathe

Start from the beginning

Landon disappears somewhere and a little later appears with a hot cocoa in his hand. He gives it to me and I wrap my cold fingers around the hot mug. He sits down next to me and I close my eyes, taking comfort in the familiar scent of his cologne. Without thinking, I lean my head against his shoulder. I'm so tired. I feel him stiffen for a second but then he relaxes and wraps his arm around me.

When the fire is lit, Nate sits down on my other side and we sit there in silence, watching the flames dance. It's hours later when my eyelids start drooping.

I must have nodded off, because when I next open my eyes, the fire has died out and it's dark. Still night. I'm stretched out on the couch, my cheek resting on something soft but hard. I frown and look up. Oh. I can feel my cheeks beginning to burn. Landon is asleep under me, my head on his chest, his arm and the blanket tightly around me. I crane my neck back to see Nate sleeping on the other end of the couch, sitting down with his head hung back, snoring quietly.

I yawn and curl back against my comfortable human pillow, closing my eyes and falling asleep almost instantly.

---

The second time I open my eyes, light is flooding the room. I'm feeling extremely comfortable and warm, and don't want to move. I want to lay here forever. That is, until I remember where I am. My eyes widen and I sit up fast, hoping he isn't awake. I grimace and peek at him from behind a thick wall of hair, and what do you know? He's wide awake, silently chuckling at my face.

"How long have you been awake?" I demand an answer. My eyes are swollen from all the crying yesterday and I brush my fingers through my hair, self-conscious of what I must look like.

"And hour or so," he smiles lazily. What?

"Why didn't you wake me? Or push me off?" That's what I would've done in his place.

"Well, I tried to move you to get to the bathroom, but you just held on tighter," he smirks, clearly amused. I'm not. I'm horrified. I held on to him? Great. My face begins to heat up.

"Well, you're free now," I shush him off the couch and he goes, a huge smirk on his lips the whole way. I cover my face in my hands and hear a loud snore. I glance at my brother, still heavily asleep, his head back and mouth open. Another snore leaves his throat. I shake my head and start tickling his sides. He wakes almost instantly, jumping up as if his behind is on fire.

I cover my mouth as a giggle escapes it, and he turns around, his eyes narrowed and hands stretched out in front of him, ready to attack. I laugh as his fingers find my sides and try to dig up my armpits.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," I gasp between giggles, my eyes tearing up as he continues his attack.

"I don't hear you," he grins evilly.

"I'm sorry!" I manage to yell, trying to fight his hands off but failing.

"Alright, alright," he finally concedes and holds out his hands. I lay there catching my breath for a while, my stomach hurting from all the laughing.

"I'm gone for two minutes and you guys have all the fun without me" Landon shakes his head at us, smiling. Nate and I exchange a look. Landon's smile drops.

"Not what I meant," he hurriedly says, backing up, his hands up for protection. But Nate and I are already jumping at him, running after him as he sprints out of the room and up the stairs. We manage to corner him in his room and wrestle him down to the ground.